Thread: Blue-grey Gnatcatcher

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue-grey Gnatcatcher

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. The bird was feeding on Fire Flag blossoms, climbing the stalk. This behaviour and that of the Purple Gallinule are described in the Birds As Art Middle of Florida Photography Site Guide that will be available soon on Artie's Birds As Art Online Store. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 400mm
    1/1000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 900 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction, removed a blossom and stem that was intersecting the birds head
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Joe!

The light, perch and BG all looks perfect too me. You got a great pose and eye contact from the bird as well and that blue streak in the background complementing the grey on the bird.
    I do think the IQ seems a bit lacking as there is still some noise present and there aren't much detail on the perch or fine feather details on the bird. Maybe a big crop? Not much you can do differently though. I like the composition as presented here.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Joe, little bullets that next to never stop. However, you caught one for a split second! I would prefer if the fire flag didn't spread at the intersection of the flycatcher's back. Also, the head and top back look a bit over sharpened w that crunchy texture. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful frame aesthetically Joe, perch, bird angle and BG all look great but unfortunately the head looks soft which has killed the final polish

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the composition on this one with that neat two background that is right on the bird. Agree with the head being soft. Neat little bird though.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the image, on my large screen it lacks in details, but when I look at in my Laptop monitor it looks good.

TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    I love the image, on my large screen it lacks in details, but when I look at in my Laptop monitor it looks good.

TFS
    Hi Krishna, thank you for viewing and commenting. Not sure what's happening between your large screen and laptop. The image looks fine on my 24" Eizo display.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com