Thread: Yellow-headed blackbird singing

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow-headed blackbird singing

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, This is my first post. I have enjoyed this forum for quite some time and wanted to get more involved. Hopefully, this photo looks like I wanted it to. I had a little trouble getting the uploading process down.

I found this yellow-headed blackbird singing in a road side pond just outside of Lyman, WY in 2015. This species nest in wetlands and has a really interesting song. It is the only member of the genus Xanthocephalus.

Image taken at 560mm, f8.0, 1/1000sec, iso 400, handheld from a car,

Post processing with Neat Image Version 8 and the Nik plug-in for Photoshop. Cropped for composition.

Taken with a Canon 100-400ii, Canon 1.4 extender iii, and Canon 7dii

Thanks for you feedback.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A hearty welcome as a poster... Love the calling pose in classic environment (if it's anything like our RWBB). Wish for more on top, to call into. Love the colors, especially the patch of blue. Wish for landing on our side of the perch and slightly softer light. Keep them coming...

3. Thanks Jesse Helton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN and a lovely first post.
    This is one of those images that is so close to being fantastic except for that top bit of bullrush intersecting with the face.
    The HA and singing pose are perfect and the wing position simply wonderful
    A 9/10 on everything except that $%^&* stick....
    I would see if you could get some more details from the blacks in the tail and I would remove the blue cast on the whites of the far wing. It is due to the shadow and is natural but I think it would look better to remove the blue in the white.
    If you have the canvas this would look great as a vertical.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN! This is a species I've always wanted to get. You've caught a fabulous singing pose with great background. I actually don't mind the "stick", but agree with Gail about the bit of blue on the far wing. Mostly, I would like to see more room all around; a bit large in the frame for my taste.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard. Really wonderful capture and I agree w above suggestions, although the bullrush is obvious habitat, i’d prefer no intersection. Lovely wing position and exposure, keep em coming!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now that is a singing pose. Nice light and nice spread on that near wing. Good detail in the blacks. The green background is nice as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, what a pose you got here...this bird is loudly announcing your arrival here on BPN! I love the light, colours, and leaves poking up from the bottom of the frame. Good separation from the BG. I agree with the bird being a bit big in the frame. I also feel that as posted the subject could use another round of sharpening on the face and body to get the fine details up to where they could be. Apart from that, way to go presenting us with a high impact image...and a big welcome to BPN!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome and great feedback. I also was not a huge fan of the perch in front of the bird but it was unavoidable. As to the canvas I do have a little more to work with so I'll try that. I will also adjust the color cast on the whites. I'll work on my posting skills, as well. The master file is sharp, but I could not get it to stay that way through the posting process. Thanks again

10. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome (again?) Jesse, For me, the stick in the face is an image killer. Just bad luck. SH and EXP right on and you got the color perfect. Overall, it is too large in the frame and I am not a fan of boxy crops (in general). Keep them coming.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.