Thread: Oh Oh .....the big grey boy is coming at me

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Oh Oh .....the big grey boy is coming at me

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks without the title , no one would understand why this young male lion is running away and looking back and up ....
    The story behind it is , that the pride was hanging around at the waterhole right in front our car , on the opposite side was a elephant bull . After a while the elephant bull made his way to disappear from the waterhole , then the lion wanted to check him out .... only short , as the bull showed him who is the boss .
    Elephant just left the scene without looking back and the lion went back to the pride !!!!

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II + 2,0 TC
    Beanbag

F 10 ; Iso 2500 ; 1/2500 sec ; man exp and Auto Iso

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2019 , cropped for comp to 65 % of FF , so IQ has suffered a bit due to technical shortcomings . But hey taking action shots like this without a gimbal are difficult IMHO ........ at least for me .

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- I liked the moment and expression on lion's face. Also the kicked up dust with light hitting it adds to image. You have done well considering the tricky light and on top of that 2x T.C., its a nightmare to produce tack sharp image on it. Considering the situation you have done very well indeed, but the IQ has suffered . Now its a choice between IQ or moment . Definitely a keeper IMO.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you did well under the circumstances here Andreas, especially with the 2x, but is it the MK2 or 3 version? Why f/10, albeit it jumps to f/8 automatically with the 2x and you only have single centre point AF, yes, but that is more accurate? Certainly that's one thing I like about the 1DX MKII, you get all the points which is a great advantage. The distance between you and the subject has given a nice POV, but you have had to crop.

Thanks
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the moment, well caught, the light didn't help with the coat detail but I think it was a tricky shot to get.

Steve you have confused me - do you only get one focal point with the 1D Mk11 or all points - can they be moved off centre. I thought all and moveable, but MK 1 only centre point and not moveable.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, with the MKII I have the function of all FP anywhere, whether it be single point, AP expansion through to Zone AF with the 2x on.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So I definitely don't understand what you were getting at in Andreas' image, it was 1DX II and a 2xTC so all points moveable. MK1 or MK1 it doesn't matter from that point of view, surely he went to f10 to maximise IQ and or DOF (I appreciate MK11 TC is better all round).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, I blame the stitches for my metal aberration here - I always thought Andreas only shot with the MKI and hadn't seen it was the MKII, so forget all that has been said. Andreas when did you upgrade to the MKII????

Regarding the 2x extender, the MKIII is the best, the MKI or II are pants and not worth the investment.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Hesseb , Jon and Steve for your various comments / discussion .... much appreciated .

To all - F 10 was used to get a better IQ not for more DOF , 2x TC III was used and the 1Dx II . The issue for me with frame is just the technical side during the shooting ... 1000 mm focal length , bean bag and a in this situation a fast moving lion . So a not ideal combo IMHO , to create a pin sharp file . The light and the heat haze also played a role in this game . I do not see it as an excuse ....i just think i could not have done better , pumping up the SS might have helped here a tiny bit . But as often this happened quickly and i did not expect the lion moving that fast .

Steve - well canīt remember how long i do have the 1Dx II , you already commented about the glory and the shortcomings of this model , when i posted frames . But you cannot know , from every member the kit that the member uses .... so i will keep my eyes closed .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

But you cannot know , from every member the kit that the member uses .... so i will keep my eyes closed
    I think the thing was, from the last few frames posted it was from the MKI, so just on auto pilot and completely forgot you had the MKII and assumed it was the MKI.

OK, in hindsight perhaps upping the SS in anticipation may have helped, but we don't always have a crystal ball. However, what you could have considered was to keep the ISO as is and dropped the EV a fraction to gain 1/3200. You would have had the D R at ISO 2500 and just marginally opened it up in PP and I doubt you wouldn't have noticed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No Steve .... image was already slightly under by 1/3 ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

image was already slightly under by 1/3 ....
    It's not, that's only what the camera tells you, you are perhaps 2/3rd's under and I reckon had a whole stop and a bit more before you even touched getting near any highlights in the true sense. It just frustrates me there is more margin to play with when in essence we expose to the best of our ability, but both camera and software prevent this because it cannot render the brighter elements, but that's another ball game.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice action. Really like the back/side light on this one. Nice and sharp. The crop works well even with the lion dead center.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful sighting and capture Andreas, you have done very well under the circumstances

Composition works for me and colours look natural. I would have loved to have both ele and lion in the frame... but I see clearly you are stuck to your 500 mm lens... just like me

I do agree, IQ has suffered a bit here and this is obviously a combination of things: lack of sufficient light, heat haze, no proper support for your gear, a big crop...etc. I still like this very much and you've processed the file to the best of your ability... Action is great, pose and expression from the young lion just priceless - keep them coming Boetie!

Thank you for sharing, hope you have a wonderful evening!

Kind regards,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this shoots.
    I think sometime more then techical you must pay attention about the composition and how people could read the photo.
    For me it works well..becouse give me the idea of the moment and I start with questions --who is coming ? the lions is waiting for which reasons ? Now he will start to kill the pride ?
    All those questions, for me, are inside the photo and make the photo very interesting
    Well done !