Thread: Depressive Elephant youngster

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Depressive Elephant youngster

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks had a sad sighting in Botswana last year with this young elephant , as you can see he has lost a large part of its trunk . For whatever reason .
    He was part of a large herd and came with his mother ....and the others . Followed them to the water but did nothing , just standing there close to the mother . Head down ... doing nothing but standing . all others had a drink or the other youngsters were busy playing .... he was just standing still , not moving away from his mother .
    After a while the herd moved out of the river ... he followed , they just waited on the river bank and some started dusting or the kids ran around . He again just stayed there ... head down . After a short while his mum went back to the river ... he stayed there , some other elephant came to him and tried to make him move or play . He simply ignored it ....head down . Then came this other subadult elephant and stood next to him for a short while .... nothing changed , they just stood there and seem to talk to each other .
    When they all finished their business ... the herd left the scene .... the depressive elephant just walked behind his mother .....
    I felt very sorry for this guy .... with my human mind .

Canon EOS 1DxII
    EF 500 IS L
    HH from ground

F 6,3 ; Iso 6400 ; 1/2500 ; man exp and Auto Iso

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2019 ; cropped for comp due to cut of ear and partly one leg of the larger elephant . Film profile ( Fuji Velvia 50 modified in some colors )

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous image .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a nice moment you have captured in this frame. Too bad about the little ones trunk. The composition looks spot on. The lowish angle is nice as well.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sad story Andreas, having said that I don't see blood so maybe the trauma is from some ago and he can still manage to feed and drink?? I hope he can.
    I am guessing there was no opportunity to change lens hence the cropped head and shoulders, having said that my eyes are actually drawn to the little guy so maybe the composition is good. Image quality/processing looks good though I was rather surprised at the high shutter speed - perhaps appearances are misleading and the adult was swaying about?.
    Bottom line - yes I like it, but for some reason the detail in the hide does not appear to be so well defined as in your other images.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, seen many young calfs in this way, never pleasant and often hard hitting. Cause could be a Croc, Lion, Hyena or snare, whatever it was has sealed the fate of the elephant because it will not be able to feed.

I might have gone portrait and perhaps going B/W might add, provide more impact to the viewer? I don't think the 'Film' treatment adds or brings anything to the PP and the final deliverance of the image to the viewer. HH, FF I think perhaps like Jon, 1/1600 or 1/2000, but... Agree that the detail isn't quite on par with previous images, I might have traded SS for a bit more DoF.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John; Jon and Steve for your kind comments , much appreciated .

Jon - the trunk was not ripped/cut off fresh , no idea how he manages to drink and feed . Agree with you and Steve about the missing fine detail .... my fault during processing .Just forgot a step ....and did not mask one layer !!! Changing the kit was not possible .... the other kit was in the car and the car was about 10 meters away . Tried to move not too much , with elephants being away 20 metres at times .......first time for me .

Steve - going portrait would have been better for the comp , i agree . B/W .... yes an option , just not saw it that way . Regarding the "film treatment " , for me not a question if it add or bring something to the PP , just a question if i or one likes it or not . And as described it is not the plain profile as provide by the software , it is modified in tone and color by myself . As the software allows to modify all the important parts , individually , not just by lowering the overall density . Lowering the SS .... no shooting HH !!! ..... and being excited by being that close to them and no close safety of the car .

Thanks again , Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, for me, any adjustment irrespective to what it is, has to be a positive one in moving the image on in a positive direction and ultimately ADDS. Here I feel the additional 'Film treatment' isn't really adding anything, in spite of being able to customise the 'action'. The colour change I find subtle and to a degree easily replicated within PS, but if you feel it adds then fine.

Velvia was an excellent transparency film which pumped up and heavily saturated Blues, Greens and Reds, high contrast creating some stunning creations, adding a smooth structure, sadly discontinued, but then who now shoots film?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve to clarify .... the " film treatment " is not additional , just instead of my " normal treatment " . And applied to a degree that i liked .... just a " creative approach " , nothing more nothing less. And i can be replicated in PS , yes with some more work manually , but i am lazy and use profile that is coming close to the original . For sure depending how the file will be sent in the 3rd party plugin , run as a filter in PS .

For sure the adjustment should add to the image , as the image is coming mostly flat and halfway lifeless to PS .... so i might have misinterpreted your answer . Even if Velvia or other films are almost dead .... and i do shoot digital , i do not see any reason why not to go visually back . I bet we would not have shot images in the film age .... if the film was so flat in tone & color like we show today in parts . At least in the nature photography .

You have your view of things and i mine ..... .... i know how Velvia does look .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- This is indeed a very sad moment and since we dont know the cause lets assume it was because of natural reasons and a good sign that the calf is still surviving.

I like the framing but going portrait would have definitely enhanced it. I am ok with the dung in fg as gaining that low pov sometimes leads to distraction in FG and more chances in an elephant area. I too find the details not as per your usual high standards and which was the first thing that confused me and i tried to see on different monitors whether it was just me but the above comments confirms the same.

Still a nice frame, TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too find the details not as per your usual high standards and which was the first thing that confused me and i tried to see on different monitors whether it was just me but the above comments confirms the same.
    Haseeb, rarely will you see any real difference in 'details' between monitors, unless you go from desktop to laptop and again doubtful, however the area where you might see a slight difference is in a slight colour shift, but probably negligible if it's set up correctly and calibrated on a regular basis IMHO.

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb for your comment , much appreciated .
    The thing with the trunk can happen for various reasons , well i do not know how or if this chap will make it . But life in the bush can be tough for all animals .... and it is the life circle . For me it was just the thing to see this little chap being looking somehow depressive .... in that short time i saw the herd .

I am with Steve ..about the difference in screens though . And i have tried to explain why the image appears less finer detailed .... operator error .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas and Steve for you comments reg the monitor .