Thread: Male Lion

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Male Lion

Attached Images Attached Images

After around an hour of trying to track the pride, we eventually found them in the dry river bed, doing what Lions always do - sleep!!!

Carefully we drove around trying to avoid the various members 'peppering' the surrounding area, concealed by the tall grasses. We then parked up a slight distance away and waited for some movement, as it was evident by the swollen bellies they had feasted in the night. Most of the action was just stretching, yawning or just rolling onto one another, but for a brief second one of the males looked up towards us, knowing full well where we were, but decided just to check us out.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Male Lion (Panthera leo)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4MKII plus 1.4x HH
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/9 ISO1600
    Original format: Portrait, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- These Lions make for great portrait subject. I liked the warm light and the details that you have in here. Framing works well here and the fg grass blades adds to the image IMO. Whites look hot but has details in it, some part on the chin looks recovered ? The darks in the FG and BKG adds some depth to the image , nicely processed.

Enjoyed viewing this one.
    TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb, glad you liked it.

Whites look hot but has details in it,
    Nope all good and nothing recovered.

The darks in the FG and BKG adds some depth to the image
    It's just using the light and playing with it, even the small bug adds IMHO.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is that a bug ? I thought a weed is stuck there

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's like a Tick, however I'm sure Gabriela will be able to add more perhaps, but I know she's a bit busy this week.

6. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve .... love the in your face look of this frame . Your patience paid off ... at least .
    Gorgeous male and the gorgeous golden light does help , to make him look good .
    Color and tone are close to perfection ...if not be perfect , still matter of taste .

Personally i think ... the stems do not add , they are there and i can live with it easily . I am 50/50 about the space on both sides .... i think i would like to have a bit more space .

Enjoyed looking at this nice specimen .... TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fancy. The light looks nice and the lion has a nice facial expression. Detail is great. More room on the sides and top would be nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Personally i think ... the stems do not add , they are there and i can live with it easily . I am 50/50 about the space on both sides .... i think i would like to have a bit more space .
    Next time please come along with some shears to trim the grass Andreas, I could do with some more action shots , as you know, grasses are part and parcel and rarely can be avoided. Plenty of wide shots of Lions, but here, with the stare going tighter I feel amplify's that and concentrates focus, having more space around would only dilute the shot IMHO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve .... did not say it is necessary to go and be your gardener ..... just said that these stems do not add something , taking Haseebīs words , IMHO . They are just there at times , and cannot be avoided . Like the stems you removed from my last lion posting .... i can live with your stems and my stems , they are there !!!! But would wish they would not be there , simple as that !!
    I did not talk about a wide shot .... just a few more pixels on both sides , would be better for me .
    I hope you do not need a grey socked german , to produce action shots . If yes ... then you are always in the wrong place ....for that .

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you SteveI am back, my apologies for being absent for a while, been missing BPN and everyone here.

Must say, as soon as my eyes fell on this thumbnail I had to open it - light is simply gorgeous and brings out such wonderful features of this male lion. Image is beautifully exposed with lovely detail and colours and tonality stunning. Framing is great, I love to get this close

Re. Haseeb's question, the little insect-like "creature" in the lion's mane could be a Sand Tampan, which is similar to a tick...I cannot tell for sure. It could also be a thistle, part of a plant

Regarding vegetation, those stems do not intersect the eyes and this is where my eyes go first - I can still connect with the subject and that is what matters. BTW, love that "sly" look, he was checking you out in typical lion fashion... just one step out of that vehicle and he would have been on his feet to defend his pride
    I so enjoyed viewing, thank you Steve

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea