Thread: Wildog portrait

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wildog portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...after a long while of waiting , i post my first Wilddog image .
    Have never been lucky with this guys ....still not happy with my images to be honest . As other folks have way better images in their collection . But thats how it goes ...LOL .
    This image was created in Botswana in the Khwai concession , we had two sightings . A quick one and a somehow longer one ...where the wild dogs rested for some time . Light was not great as both sightings too place during the late morning ....light was already harsh . Nevertheless it was a great experience to see these guys running ....thanks to Anette to keep them in reach as long as possible , it was somehow like in India when safari vehicles spot a Tiger . All folks went mad , trying to follow and get a spot for taking photographs . Not that kind of rush we all prefer ....
    For this image i used a film profile from 3rd party plugin to simulate slide films ( Fuji Velvia 100 F ) , i modified the profile slightly as the colors were not matching my taste . All possible in that software . But the changes i made has been very slightly ...so basically i used that profile .
    So no wonder that the colors might look pushed to you ( for some the contrast too ) ....... i like it though , that is how the old films looked when they came back from processing .

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 500 IS L
    HH

F 7,1 ; Iso 8000 ; 1/4000 sec ; man exp and Auto Iso .... well well those settings are off i know , but was done by my fault and not what i should have dialled in . Turned the wheel by bad luck and did not recognise , so Iso and SS went up

Processed with DPP4 and PSCC 2019 ; slightly cropped for comp from all sides .

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this wild dog. Like the open mouth and the stuff stuck on the fur. The background is great.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- Congratulations on the sighting , these are very special animals indeed. I too had an amazing experience with them and kind of felt familiar during the sightings as it reminded me of my Tiger experience back in India.

Coming to the image, I really liked the colours and details inspite of your usual techs ( high iso especially). Glad you got that clean bkg which is making this portrait very pleasing on the eyes. Excellent PP work I must say , those details are quite good. I really enjoyed viewing this image Andreas.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice panting expression, I like the debris it is carrying in the fur.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, congrats of the WD sightings and this one works well despite the light and high ISO. The composition and clean BG with the dried leaves and twigs on fur make it a bit more interesting. Good PP work.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, always good to see WD and if on the hunt even better, albeit the end result is rather gruesome and requires a strong stomach.

Head shot is fine, but personally I like it from the RHS, just old habits. Techs look OK, SS maybe 1/2500 - 1/3200 as the dog was on the move and so ISO to 6400 not a huge saving, but the light doesn't look to bad???? Was there too much EV? Overall it's a tad yellow and for me, the fur/coat needs a bit more depth, the gums would also benefit, appears a bit thin and from your last posting you prefer more Black/Contrast, albeit with Canon files they already add in more. Like the open mouth and visible teeth/tongue.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent processing Andreas, I like the angle and pose, for me a little too much empty space on RHS. I understand your narrative but in my view unnecessary - quite simply an excellent image regardless of circumstance. As they say good job!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon, Steve, Haseeb ,Sanjeev , Greg and John for your kind comments ... much appreciated .

Jon - i think the negative space is ok for me , but can also see an 4x5 crop with lesser space to the RHS .

Steve - for me does not matter which side the head is entering the frame , old habits . Agree with you about the SS , as said in the intro was not my goal to use that SS ( unwanted operator error ) . Dappled light around 11 am .... How do you get the idea about the EV ? Color is subjective and i understand that you see it differently .... but as said in the intro i used a film profile and knew that some colors will be pushed , and for me it does work in this context , as the old films did not reflect the natural colors .

Black / contrast .... not all images must have the same amount of it . But agree i could go deeper in the darker parts of the fur and the gums .

Thanks again to all of you .

Cheers Andreas