Thread: The humble Hare

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The humble Hare

Attached Images Attached Images

Following in the footsteps of Philpot, Mitchell & Ashton, here is another Hare, albeit a chance encounter...

I wasn't expecting to do any photography in the last two weeks, but always take some bit of kit with me and so the 500, 5D4 & 1.4 was packed in the bag just in case. Having decided to take a stroll in one of my old stomping grounds I was pleased to spot the fleeting glimpse of a Little owl, not seen since a year ago and back to an old haunt. Taking a few days out just to observe it was indeed one of the previous owls I had photographed, easily identified because of the torn eye and it had come back to were it had been hatched, the old Willow tree with the Jackdaws, sadly not inhabiting the owl box erected some 7 years ago.

So whilst camping out this wee chap turned up unannounced, not ideal as it was backlit and I had to shoot backwards and these guys are super spooked. More of a grab shot, at least 2/3rds under, and if time allowed I would changed the metering, however... The eye just lit up with the light and so I swopped to spot AF and managed to fire a few frames off.

The last day I tried to do more with these uncooperative guys, but certainly IMHO, shooting silent is less than ideal, so back to normal mode, but that is one advantage of Mirrorless cameras, they are SILENT!

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Brown Hare (Lepus)
    Camera: Canon 5D4
    Lens: 500f/4MKII plus 1.4x Flexline pro ball head, Gitzo tripod
    Exposure: 1/1250s at f/8 ISO400
    Original format: Portrait, FF on width, slight crop at the top
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Despite the reservations you describe I think the light makes for an interesting shot. The first thing that got my attention was his eye and I think that just makes the shot stand out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Jon, and yes, if the eye wasn't the key then it would have made the bin. Certainly if the opportunity arrises again then silent mode is off, and a higher contrast to lock onto should help, however I hope they get used to the shutter noise quickly.

BTW I meant to ask, changing the configuration of dials, have you noticed a difference? Drop me a text.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ears on this hare are hug. The vertical composition works well. That little bit of light on the eye makes this one work. Nice and sharp with good detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers John, unless you are in a similar situation as per the Fawn, then don't swop to Silent mode, irrespective.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... a good and solid shot of the hare . The fact you brought out that eye so nice makes this for me . Well controlled HL/SH under given lighting ...Top Notch !!!
    Nice fine detail in the fur ...very nice !!
    The grass looks good , i do see a bit potential for more different hues if one likes it .
    The only thing what i do find not ideal are the ears ....ears up would have been better , but you know . Maybe waiting ..and then shooting , or whistle .

Nice one TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Like others the first thing i found interesting is that eye, clearly stands out and which is what makes this image for me. I agree with Andreas reg the Ears but nothing you could have done about it. Again, colours and details are very nice , it is not only the eye that is working here . Nicely done.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I like that illuminated eye very much! Good alert pose and details on the hare. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, thanks. Sorry to have missed you, hope you had a good time, are you back now?

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The only thing what i do find not ideal are the ears ....ears up would have been better , but you know . Maybe waiting ..and then shooting
    Sadly, rarely did this subject cooperate Andreas, ears went up on only a few occasions and fleeting seconds, mainly drawn back, they are so alert and scoot off even when they spook themselves, lets see what next mont brings...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this Steve, even though you were obviously up against it a bit. .... the usual superb execution !! I've noted how the eye picks up light when all but backlit,a throw back to their all round vision I suppose. You have capitalised on that really well. I like the ears in a bit more relaxed pose. One can only have so many ears erect..... it all becomes a bit formulaic otherwise. Plus those ears convey so much of a hare's mood I think it's cool for the viewer to be exposed to more than the tradition bolt upright

Sometimes they are so jumpy one just can't fire the throw away frames to get them accustomed to the racket the shutter makes ,it's a real double edged sword these noisy shutters Steve ,sometimes useful to stop a subject ,but most of the time a PITA. How high is the tripod set maybe a call for slightly lower??

Lovely buddy...... nice seeing you post a hare from here. Steve maybe too off topic but how are you finding the flexline...maybe there is a discussion elsewhere, that's I've missed in my absense??

cheers

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, great to hear from you and hope this isn't a fleeting posting from you, but hope all is well with you too.

As I said, I was shooting Little owls, so this was a bonus and on the last day spent the afternoon waiting for the Hares who had been about 50m away on the edge of the rapeseed field. Would you believe it, I had one within feet of me, a bit too close, however I'm back up at the end of the month so will see what will happens.

Flexline, well I've been shooting with it for just over a year, but occasionally intersperse with the gimbal. I love it and borrowed my good friend Andy Rouse's prior to buying and had it for two weeks on test, great, but a bit of an investment. Ideal for travelling as it's lightweight and will take it in August with me, but also in India last December. I also like the twin shooter, took it to Farnes when I hooked up with Jon A and that gave me the flexibility. Suddenly everyone has woken up to it, but you have to go with the Pro version. If you need more info drop me a line.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hope not,Steve I miss you guys and your "collective" inspiration. I'd like to share a bit of what's been going on as well, frankly, been a bit mad of late. Work eased briefly and I pushed hard to make the most of a little window of late evenings light wise,but with roe Steve, I won't go further been good though . I hope to share something shortly

I utterly believe you had a hare feet from you Steve,it happens to us aswell,had them so close I could touch .They are so curious if we (man) present ourselves as no threat and they see don't us as the apex predator we are it can be utterly bewildering,ahh all the luck on your return mate!!

I've read abit about the flexline,it's the weight that is of deep interest,yes I know a bit expensive,good tools always are in this game. I am struggling to crawl with the hi hat tripod,gimbal lens et al. There is the odd time I want to maul it all a few hundred yards, on my tummy: a few less ounces might help the old bones. i'm not yet ready to buy... musing though. But thanks for the offer of help and advice I may well bother you a bit later on. The twin shooter option had me instantly pondering..... what a great simple idea

My absence is largely due to buying a little old half done campervan , to dovetail into the image making.

take care kiddo cheers for the kindness

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu, perhaps you may wish to think of purchasing a Pod Skimmer, lightweight and you can push along the ground, ideal for the beach too and provides a very low POV, but folk have used an old large frying pan, I kid you not with the right screw. I might have an option, just need to check on the item as to save the £££ you could buy my old Uniqball, same designer, but sadly doesn't have the balance the Flexline has.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The cotswold scree might make a frying pan/skimmer a bit noisy sadly Steve ,I am aware I picked that one up from Artie's blog I believe a couple or three years back, I've also pondered a little plate I can't remember the name has leveling screws on the corners

( sorry slow to come back june is insane for me). Again huge thanks on the thoughts about the unique ball........ extremely kind. My base set up is working really well for me ,i'm still an out and out HH,but there are those times when I can see a need ,ha there is always a need huh

cheers

stu