Thread: Lion cubs

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lion cubs

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... here is one image from my 2018 trip to Botswana .
    Found a single lioness with 3 little cubs and stayed with them for a longer time ....
    Image taken in the Khwai concession .
    With hindsight i might have taken the 200 - 400 as i do find this , maybe a bit too tight .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L
    HH

F 8 ; Iso 4000 ; 1/1600 sec ; man exp and Auto Iso . Well i think F 10 would have been better , as i was close

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2019 ; thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cute for sure. DoF on the front one is good from nose to ears, f10 wouldn't change much at that distance. This one is not too tight for me, the paws are in the grass but not cut, and the face is well framed in the image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not too tight for me - just! There is enough breathing space all round and and the grasses obscure the front paws. If you had enough light for this aperture though, i think I'd have preferred the flexibility of the 200-400, especially with that built in converter.

I love the fact the 2nd cubs eyes are just in line with the head of the 1st cub. Details - well, spot on as expected!

Mike

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

This is lovely! Very sweet capture and such wonderful pose from those little ones! Framing not a big issue for me - perhaps it would have been good to have more space for the main protagonist to look into, but sometimes things just work out this way

Nice POV and you were lucky ( probably also very patient ) to have those two in the clear and without grass blades intersecting their faces.

I personally like things on the "warmer side", would be tempted to up the saturation a bit. I also think you can probably afford to up exposure a bit, especially on the first cub's face - looks a bit dark, WDYT?

And what were they looking at, Boetie? I am sure you had a wonderful time with them, have you got more images from this sighting, and if so can we see them please?

Really enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Greg, Mike and Gabriela for your kind comments , much appreciated .

Gabriela - stayed cooler , was late afternoon and in shadow . Same reason for a darker overall look .No more saturation needed IMHO . But here you go .... RP slightly going into your suggestions . Another frame is coming later .... not ideal but you will love the content ....i BET !!!!!

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love little lion cubs, let us have some more!

And yes RP is a wee bit better. For me, that is. I do understand the conditions you had... experienced this recently...not much colour to be extracted in PP because it just isn't there

Cannot wait for the next one, Boetie, good light or not! Just a little warning though, my internet provider is trying to fix a big server issue at the week-end so I might be without comms. Will be back as soon as things are back to normal
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela .... image is not running away , once posted

will be visible in 10 min

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shots Andreas, who knows which is best? They both look great details and colours look amazing - does it matter which version? Can you really remember how they looked? I am wondering if we sometimes over-analyse the images,I appreciate of course that they are submitted for scrutiny but I must confess I do not know which version is better or which is more accurate. They both look very pleasing to me. I suppose the retort to my point is that I need to spend more time in Africa!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Boetie Andreas, I saw it straight away
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes a bit tight Andreas, but the focus is in the faces. 200-400 would have given you a better option in terms of framing, but the 500 delivers on IQ - thankfully you lost the 1.4 here. If you had gone to f/10, not much difference except you would have had a higher ISO and less DR. I might have traded a tad less SS as they were static and dropped to ISO3200.

Your call but I think there is more tonal range in the colour of the fur overall and that may help the brighter parts too?

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve - i do agree about the tightness , but only as it is FF . Does not need a lot more space all around and i made my peace with the tight framing . 1,4 not lost ... lions has been close , so no need for the TC . When animals are a bit further away it will be on again ... and might stay , hence the possible tightness when they come closer . No trading of the SS , as they were busy at time of shooting so did not want to take the risk of motion blur . Regarding color .. there is always more to play , we have it in our hands , i like it as is .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- Quite late on this but will chip in with my thoughts nonetheless.

I really liked the framing inspite of being tight it does make for a very nice portrait and hence I myself also try to get something like this , the tightness doesn't matter. I do find it the tones a bit dark and colours cool but and hence i prefer your RP. Details are nice and f/8 worked well here IMO, sharp where it mattered. Enjoyed viewing this one .

PS: Khwai was a great experience for me when it came to leopard sightings , I hope you too had a good time there.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb ... i think always tricky to find the right tonality in the fur !! Depending on so many variables from light to matter of taste .

Khwai was good , also in terms of leopard , as i did found 3 leopards myself and not participated from others . Lions was just this mum with her three kids ....loads of elephants and the regular stuff . Would definitely go there again if possible ...

Cheers Andreas

14. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice moment you have captured here. The vertical framing works great. The details look nice. The look on both cubs is great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John for your comment