Thank You Posts

Default Flower

Attached Images Attached Images

I made this image in Redbutte Garden UT

Nikon D500, Sigma 150 Macro
    1/3200 sec; f/4.2; ISO 1000
    Aperture priority; Matrix metering
    Camera on Tripod

This was shot with Camera Parallel to the ground on tripod. Used Live view to make sure focus is on the part which I wanted.

Post Processing:-
    ==================
    Raw Using C1P
    Dodging background left side of the flower
    Burning on the right hand side of the Flower
    Neat Image for NR

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

TFS

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Krishna, this is down to personal taste, my immediate reaction was "nearly but not quite there". I think I see what you were after, i.e. a sharply focused edge to the petals, well for me it is nearly there but not quite, I think however this is an excellent idea and the concept could be enhanced by masking.

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can you explain further what is lacking? I also feel that I am not there. What do you mean by masking ?

I could not do focus stacking as I was not using my full frame which has auto focus stacking capabilities.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    Can you explain further what is lacking? I also feel that I am not there. What do you mean by masking ?

I could not do focus stacking as I was not using my full frame which has auto focus stacking capabilities.
    Krishna, by masking I am indicating that a feature may be shown in a layer and that layer can have a mask applied and by brushing selectively on that mask you can eliminate certain features to show the presence of only some. The edges of the petals maybe slightly sharper than portrayed but I am guessing that you only wanted to show a little of the edge, well a mask could be used to show as much or as little of the edge as you would want to be visible. Lots of good video on You Tube - try Adobe first.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Krishna, by masking I am indicating that a feature may be shown in a layer and that layer can have a mask applied and by brushing selectively on that mask you can eliminate certain features to show the presence of only some. The edges of the petals maybe slightly sharper than portrayed but I am guessing that you only wanted to show a little of the edge, well a mask could be used to show as much or as little of the edge as you would want to be visible. Lots of good video on You Tube - try Adobe first.

If Selective sharpening is what you meant, I already did that. I do use layers and adding masks a lot. I want to understand how that would have improved this image ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    If Selective sharpening is what you meant, I already did that. I do use layers and adding masks a lot. I want to understand how that would have improved this image ?
    I would attempt to make the focus of the edges of the petals more apparent, i.e. more distinct so the edge stands out proud from the OOF parts. In other words if the DOF was fairly deep I would selectively narrow it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You either like these soft focus frames or you don't in my opnion. I like it. The focus is spot on and the colors compliment one another nicely.