Thread: Tiger in light

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger in light

Attached Images Attached Images

Another frame of this gorgeous two year old girl who, when given the head turn, the light just fell nicely IMHO. She was totally at ease and just enjoyed chilling, not phased with our presence at all and posting this reminds me, I must get her T number.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Female Tiger (Panthera tigris) in light
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO800
    Original format: Portrait, FF on width, slight crop at the top
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Another frame of this gorgeous two year old girl who, when given the head turn, the light just fell nicely IMHO. She was totally at ease and just enjoyed chilling, not phased with our presence at all and posting this reminds me, I must get her T number.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Female Tiger (Panthera tigris) in light
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO800
    Original format: Portrait, FF on width, slight crop at the top
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019
    Holy Cow Steve--this image gave me one of those breath taking Wow! moments that occurs when great art is first seen. The technical camera details are spot on ( with quite a deep, I think, DOF from the ears to the tip of the nose for f/5.6 ) but it's something else---the image literally brings me into the presence of the animal ,exuding a feeling of calm power. I really like the touch of green in the yellow eye and how the intensity of light gradually fades as we look from the highlights on the chest across over the left shoulder and back along that flank. Masterful.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

She is so beautiful Steve, you truly did justice to her with this image. What gorgeous light revealing her lovely features!

Frame is well exposed, well composed and background is superb, so are the colours. Wonderful fine detail on her face and chest
    Oh, this so works! Just when I thought there were no more tiger images you show us the best one. The light is everything here, and I am loving it

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Like the somewhat square crop. The pose is great. The light really makes this stand out with the light on the tiger and the outter part of the frame darker.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ...she looks like ..." Her Majesty " !!!
    Gorgeous looking tigress ... i do like the tight framing and the look to the side .
    Techs , color and tone top notch for me ....Brillant PP work on that front . Would have thought you might go for more DOF ....but looks just enough with 5,6 .

What i am 50/50 about is the " artificial " look of the surrounding of the subject , it does stand out nicely , but not looking like a natural light fall off . I think you created the effect to emphasise " Her Majesty " .... maybe with a vignette . Not a great fan of that .... but we all think different at times . If that is the case i might reduce the effect .
    Just my 2 cents .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for all the positive comments, much appreciated.

Andreas, no vignette and not artificial, just in parts 'sculpting light'. For your information if I apply a vignette it's not the bog standard one you are probably referring to, I can refine the adjustment in many ways including lifting any dark or midtones etc, or even creating a negative too, so I have tonal control in colour as well as tonal range, as the technique is so versatile.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding Steve, the fur looks as though I can almost feel it, I bet you're pleased with this one, I'd be over the moon!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ....understand your point , and your view as you create that effect . I used the wording vignette as you sometimes tell folks here , to add something like a vignette , for a better understanding . You might not use the straight forward vignette , as you know how to create such things or sculpt the light .... in the end the effect is the same . Does not matter how complex the work is ..... My feeling is , in simple words , you mainly darkened ( sculpted ) the brighter areas in the FG and BG , to emphasise the beauty tigress . You have done that successfully ..... I am just not a fan of these edits , nothing more , nothing less . Some like it ...some donīt . So nothing wrong with it. .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Fantastic details , life like fur ! I loved the colours and details, also I liked your PP work , the dark areas definitely helps in providing emphasis on the Tiger.
    Have to agree with Andreas reg personal taste on liking such edits / images. You have done it exceedingly well here and I liked the output as well but most folks over do it or rather doesnt quite get it correctly on field and then overprocess it during PP.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb, glad you saw and more importantly, commented, much appreciated. Here the light was sweet with the light peeping through the canopy, unlike this morning, shooting in harsh light, but more of a grab shot, when I'm back will hope to post and expand.

Trust all is good your side, again timings did dovetail with 'The Doc'.

Steve