Thread: 1.5x Lumholtz's tree kangaroo

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 1.5x Lumholtz's tree kangaroo

Attached Images Attached Images

Mother and joey in the afternoon sun. It had been raining incessantly for days, they were in the top-most branches warming in the sun. About 25m above the ground. I was watching for about an hour, and some others nearby, the joey only came out for a minute before retreating to the safety of the pouch. Virtual tail of the mother cut off, but it is behind the leaves in any case. Not the best angle of the face by the mother, looking down her dark left eye is almost obscured by lashes.
    560mm, 1/1250, f6.3, ISO3200.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greg cowle View Post
    Mother and joey in the afternoon sun. It had been raining incessantly for days, they were in the top-most branches warming in the sun. About 25m above the ground. I was watching for about an hour, and some others nearby, the joey only came out for a minute before retreating to the safety of the pouch. Virtual tail of the mother cut off, but it is behind the leaves in any case. Not the best angle of the face by the mother, looking down her dark left eye is almost obscured by lashes.
    560mm, 1/1250, f6.3, ISO3200.
    Not much chance in this setting to create an "artistic" image Greg but you've got both mother and babe in focus with nice lighting and good fur detail.I see the blue rimming around the leaves and branches against blue sky BG that I always get shooting birds in such settings and wonder if it's possible to process that out and how. I have tried, using chromatic aberration adjustments, but not with much success.

3. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have a nice view of the mother. Like the little one is in there as well. Too bad it couldn't have been on the branch in front of it. The details look pretty good.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg great that you posted something " special " for us .
    Difficult thing to make it a stunning shot in normal term or thinking .... shooting high up is never ideal .
    So i would enjoy the species ... and i do love the overall vibrancy of colors . The baby is so cool and congrats that you caught him when being out of the pouch .
    Well controlled light and good detail visible ... well done . Might just drop the blues in the animals .

TFS Andreas

6. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Greg,

Nice to see Mom and Baby, the little one is very cute. Good timing too, you must have been very patient to see the young to leave the pouch.

A busy frame with lots of vegetation but I suppose it's almost impossible to find the species on the ground or on lower perches, they are most comfortable and safe up there in deep foliage.

Detail is good and it's great that you managed to capture the youngster with his eyes open. I do agree with Andreas above regarding blues ( I would lessen the blues on the subjects as well as sky).

Thank you so much for sharing, your contribution is appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

8. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely processed, I like the inquisitive looks you received, tricky light well handled. It is a pleasing and interesting image, I like it.
    I too sense there is some blue lurking in the back fur.

10. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for the comments and critiques. Such a unique species, it is a thrill to see them, even if there is not much action. I was lucky that they did come out into a bright area to get the warmth, but it is a difficult shot. Exposing for the animals the sky is over-exposed, hence the rimming noted by Bob. I tried to maximize the foliage behind, while keeping the sun more or less behind me, and finding a pocket to shoot through the lower branches... I'll go back and revise the blues in the background and subjects.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg -- Always great to see something different and you have done quite well in getting that frame , the high up angle is usually not ideal but Your subjects habitat and behaviour as such that nothing you can do about it. Nice vibrant colours and details .

Nicely done.

TFS !