Thread: Elephant-Scape Dudhwa !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Elephant-Scape Dudhwa !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone, thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post , as always much appreciated.

Here is another animal scape, this time it is an Elephant from Dudhwa. It was very late in the evening when we encountered this extremely shy bull. He just vanished into the forest as soon as he heard our vehicle's ignition. That's a different story as to why the vehicle was required to be started in the first place. But before he vanished, we got an opportunity to make few images in the beautiful environment.

DPP 4, PSCC 2019, WB, Curves, Colour balance, selective colour, NR, straightening, sharpened selectively.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400 f4 IS II @ 560mm, Bean Bag.

ss 1/200, f/5.6, iso 8000.

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions be it of any nature.

Haseeb.
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 05-27-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, just loving this series of images.

The central, head on works, especially with the falling leaves carpeting the floor and letting the inverted 'V' lead the eye to the subject. Not loving though the two broken tree trunks that flank the sides, they just keep catching my eye. I just wonder about bringing some depth and colour to the leaves on the ground and again adding a small rectangular vignette? Minimal DoF as you are wide open, but I don't think it's a problem here. Pushing that ISO great as if you were thinking of going mirrorless you might have struggled.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve. I too loved the way that path is carpeted by leaves and really liked your suggestion on bringing some depth and colour to the floor. Also referred your RP on mail and find it pleasing especially what you suggested for leaves. I did add some small amt of vignette to the above image and I am ok with the overall tones and colours. Reallly appreciate for your version as it helps in looking things from different directions.

Not going for mirror-less , very happy with 1DX 2

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image the thing that pulls my eye is the dark foliage behind the elephant maybe a reduction in blue and a little cyan reduction would help. A small saturation boost with an exception to the aforementioned area gives the image a little lift.

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb lovely image ...well done all your scape images !!!!
    The leading lines in the image are working well and the elements are fitting very well together , even if being a bit busy ( no wonder in a forest ) i think there is structure in that " chaos " .
    I really like this a lot , and i would not change a thing ... i do like the overall tone & color palette .
    I can understand what Steve is saying about the carpet ... might worth a visit . But i personally would stay away from this vignette thing ..... just a personal thing from my side . I would try if needed to D&B areas with a mask ...again personal taste .

A pleasure to view .... go on with that kind of image .

TFS Andreas

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good leading line in the image from the path, but maybe too symmetrical.If you were a little to the right you might have had a slight curve pointing to the elephant. Although that may not have been possible from the description...

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am a bit late here, my apologies Haseeb. The first thought that came to mind on opening this thumbnail was: "...what lovely mood here...the solitary ele seems to be the only breathing creature in the forest..."

Your image has such a dreamy quality and is so unique, I absolutely love it. As photographer you managed to possess the scene, choosing best techs for the lighting conditions and composing in a way that is so pleasing to the eye.

There is not much I can add to what has been said above, really enjoyed viewing and happy with the image as presented. Nevertheless, I would like to see this with Steve's suggestions implemented if you're inclined to spend some more time on it.

Thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Hello everyone, thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post , as always much appreciated.

Here is another animal scape, this time it is an Elephant from Dudhwa. It was very late in the evening when we encountered this extremely shy bull. He just vanished into the forest as soon as he heard our vehicle's ignition. That's a different story as to why the vehicle was required to be started in the first place. But before he vanished, we got an opportunity to make few images in the beautiful environment.

DPP 4, PSCC 2019, WB, Curves, Colour balance, selective colour, NR, straightening, sharpened selectively.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400 f4 IS II @ 560mm, Bean Bag.

ss 1/200, f/5.6, iso 8000.

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions be it of any nature.

Haseeb.
    I like the concept of this shot Haseeb, the trees creating multiple frames of the oncoming animal and the colour intensity a lovely ethereal quality. Some pickies are that a slight counter-clockwise rotation might be in order and I wonder if this was part of a sequence, one of which has the right ear extended like the left ( it took me a while to isolate and identify that as the source of an initially unconscious sense of imbalance I felt from this. ).

13. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love how this frame leads you right to the elephant. Like the framing as well. The road view all the leaves makes a nice leading line.

15. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto all of the positives above. Two things here really bug me: the very large o-o-f brown blobs lower left and lower right ... A boxy crop here might work a lot better ... Or not :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions as always much appreciated.

@ Sir Artie: Will definitely try and implement your crop suggestion might eliminate the blobs you are referring to.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

HB,

Good plan. O-O-F stuff in front of the subject is often fatal, at least for me :)

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

19. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fascinating 'animal scape' with nice head on pose, flanked by those huge trees and the carpet of dried leaves. Very nice Haseeb!

21. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Doc .