Thread: The Leader .... LOL

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Leader .... LOL

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... this time a somewhat funny image from the impression of capture POV .
    This little chap was attacking me ........
    Image taken in western range of Etosha NP , the herd had a drink at the waterhole and all was peaceful an quiet , with kids playing and adults having rest . Until some cars of a organised trip ....appeared at the waterhole , with running engines and moving the cars pretty useless around , the elephants changed behaviour from relaxed to nervous .
    At that stage the cows started to move away from the waterhole ... chose the way right in the direction where the cars where parked , that made the folks in the other cars nervous as well .... LOL ... and they made elephants even more skittish by trying to get out of the elephants way , instead of staying still . The elephants did not act aggressive in any way ... just showing us who is on duty at that waterhole , in their normal behaviour !!
    I thought ... well you dumb folks in the other cars , just go somewhere else if you cannot deal with wild animals .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    Bean Bag

F 8 ; Iso 5000 ; 1/2000 sec ; man exp and Auto Iso

Processed with DDP 4 and PSCC 2019 ; slight crop for comp from bottom and RHS , wish i had a bit more space on top and LHS ........ another leaf from my book Steve .

Thanks for watching commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wodnerful, wonderful, wonderful. I'd suggest a small pano crop to elminate the eyes and the ear of the animal on the right side of the photo along with a bit more off the bottom.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I had to re-visit this one. I did as I suggested but left a portion of the one ear ... Did take a smidge off the right.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie , glad you like this one . I see where you coming from with your RP and crop suggestion , i think it is tricky where to crop and i prefer to stick with my OP . But thanks for showing an alternative .

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Andreas, I too like this one. A lot. Stunning work in the field, nice techs, super timing Boetie, well processed!

All works for me as presented but I must agree with Artie on the composition. This is because the eye of the viewer tends to oscillate between the young ele and mom ( or sibling ) on the RHS of the image, instead of settling on the youngster. I admit there's some emotion there which is perhaps lost in the crop... But ultimately if you wish to make a greater impact you'll have to go with Artie's suggestion. Just my 2 cents
    Hope you have a great rest of the week and thank you for this delightful post - I truly enjoyed viewing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- Excelllent IQ and moment captured , and a lovely POV as well. I feel Sir Arties crop suggestion makes it look more deliberate and I am more inclined to it as result of that. But since it is your image and creation so it matters what you feel abt it. I really liked this one though.

TFS .

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela & Haseeb for your kind comments , much appreciated .

I do agree with you in parts , i think it is a 50/50 decision and i think i rather take the space and let the stronger impact go , for now , might change my mind

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, where was the 200-400?

Personally, with the heads so heavily cut off I would go with Artie's RP as the focus is then more centred on the calf and there are no other distracting elements. Not sure if it needs a bit more 'contrast' creating more tonal depth Andreas, but not by adding contrast, but viewing on the laptop so... Is that 1.4 welded on, did you ever take it off?

TFS
    Steve

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot Andreas love the processing. I think I prefer the cropped version it concentrates attention on the calf.

13. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Jon ...for your feedback

Steve - the 200 -400 was lying on the passenger seat , did not expect the elephants start to move that quick ...so stick with the long combo and actually i was more interested in the Leader than the adults . No more " contrast " needed IMHO , as light was flat due to overcast sky . For me there is enough contrast / tonal depth in the image , for sure one can push things ...but not now for this image . Do not say it would not work ... as there are always many options how to present things .

The 1,4 TC is not welded on the 500 .... but the mount became rusty due to bad Canon quality , so i am not able to remove it .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The 1,4 TC is not welded on the 500 .... but the mount became rusty due to bad Canon quality , so i am not able to remove it.
    Take it back into Canon, otherwise you will restrict your shooting which would be madness with that kit.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think Andreas used glue to make sure the 1.4 does not come off
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah yeah ... try to use the 500 solo ... next time , maybe . If i think it is time and the animals are in closer range ... i might not start with that combo . But no guarantee as i make my decisions ... from the gutt , not all the time with my brain .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thasnk Queen G, Haseeb, Steve, and John. For me it is a 100/0 decision as the eyes of the adult on the frame edge draw the viewers eye; I find them quite the distraction. But heck, I said that already :)

with love, artie

19. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great view of the little one and the other elephants frame is nicely. Nice and sharp with good detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John for your comment , much appreciated .

Thanks again Artie ... i remember your thoughts and others , still staying my ground .

Cheers Andreas