Thread: Eastern Cottontail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eastern Cottontail

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 5/20/19 at 8:03PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Camera on sticks. Used the touch feature with live view you touch the screen and it takes a frame. Not sure what it is called. Just messing around.

Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 3200
    1/25sec

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well John, perhaps one of your best to date, nicely framed, well exposed, DoF looks good, but 1/25.

PP looks good, albeit on the laptop, however it's all moving in the right direction. My only wish would have been is for the second ear to be in view and if you had moved a bit more to you right, then the OOF grass blade wouldn't be over the side of the nose, but at least it's clear of the eye here!

TFS
    Ste ve

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this a lot, the way it is sort of portected by the grasses. I'd tone down the YELLOW in the GREEN a bit.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a cute little bundle, John! Perfectly tucked in among vegetation and the expression is priceless. Nice framing, interesting techs, especially SS - wow, you pulled it off again

I won't comment on colours, a bit difficult for me as I have never seen the species. Image well exposed and also nicely processed, detail is good. Wondering whether it's you in the reflection/ eye of the little Cottontail?

Please keep those images coming, I find them truly delightful.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 05-27-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John another nice frame of that species . Well done and you got the lovely low POV without getting too much of grass in front of the subject !!!
    PP looks really good i think , specially the colors .... even if being personal taste most of the time .

You seem to be really brave to go that slow on the SS with that long lens ...

TFS Andreas

9. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it John well done, I find the grasses just a little yellow. You were on a tripod, 1/25 sec is slow but if the rabbit was still and it is a decent tripod well you get a decent shot. The touch screen shutter is something I used sparingly because you can "squeeze" the shutter button in a vertical plane whereas the touch screen is lateral or fore/aft so I would suggest is possibly more likely to induce camera movement.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 5/20/19 at 8:03PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Camera on sticks. Used the touch feature with live view you touch the screen and it takes a frame. Not sure what it is called. Just messing around.

Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 3200
    1/25sec
    Good focus and colour/exposure John and I like the little bit of luminance through the ear---as always on grassy backgrounds you've got the problem of "what colour is green?" .....or should I say " what colour was the green" ? but that's always fun to play with and I've got no objection to your choice here although I would have experimented with Arthur's suggestion of reducing the yellow content.