Thread: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker from the vault

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow-bellied Sapsucker from the vault

Haven't touched the shutter in month since all the ducks and shorebirds left for the arctic, so revisiting some older shots for re-edits.

This guy was shot in Central Park back in Feb of 2015. He was visiting an array of winter feeders in the Ramble section of the park.
    So, this isn't a formal set-up, but the bird was in the area because of the offered seed/suet.

Background is snow or cocaine, take your pick.

I wish I had a bit more room around him, but space on the right is limited. Could go to a taller crop, but love the detail this view allows.

Canon 500mm f/4 IS on EOS 1D Mark IV
    1/2000 at f/5.6, ISO 1600
    Processed in LR CC with standard sliders

Name:  yellow-bellied sapsucker A 021615.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  470.8 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice details and comp. Not a huge fan of the white BG.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow-bellied Sapsucker from the vault

Excellent details. Like the image design.

Beautiful shot. Works perfectly for me

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the details and colors. I'd stick with this crop... Congrats. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian. beautiful bird, nicely shown. Nice color, exposure and feather detail on the bird. I think I might try taller, the image looks a tad cramped. Something funky along the edge of the tree trunk, not sure why. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Dorian. beautiful bird, nicely shown. Nice color, exposure and feather detail on the bird. I think I might try taller, the image looks a tad cramped. Something funky along the edge of the tree trunk, not sure why. Thank you for sharing.
    Yeah, taller comp might be better. Stuff on trunk is OOF bark behind.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the yellow wash on these guys during early breeding season. This one has quite the intense one! Nice details here. As posted I'd trim some off the left. Are you waiting for the ducks and shorebirds to come back, or are there some "local residents" or breeders you are wanting point your lens at in the meantime?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I love the yellow wash on these guys during early breeding season. This one has quite the intense one! Nice details here. As posted I'd trim some off the left. Are you waiting for the ducks and shorebirds to come back, or are there some "local residents" or breeders you are wanting point your lens at in the meantime?
    There are a few breeders here, but the issue is access. What little bay-based photography remains after the departure of waders and ducks is restricted to dikes (only chumps shoot down on birds), and the water in the collection pools is so nasty I wouldn't get into it anyway. There is a lot of open space, but it's all restricted access. There's nothing like national forest where I can wander around and do my own thing. Everything is restricted to established trails, and those are heavily trafficked in a thickly populated Bay Area. There just aren't places where I can go and be alone and try to work with breeding birds without driving more than 45 mins or so. I'd love to learn in-field set-up techniques and get better at passerine photography, but there's nowhere near here to do it. I live in an apt with parking lot for a back yard, so I don't have property on which I can generate shots. I'm also trying to finish a book I am writing, so I'm not willing to disrupt my writing routine to fight for wha I think will be rare shots. Writing is a better return on my time right now. I head to Colombia for 3 weeks on June 21, so things will get better. There should be some good tern activity by the time I return from that trip. I know of some kite nests, but so do loads of other shooters. I'm not one to join onto the Bay Area Photo Mafia.......

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cuz it was easy to try another comp/crop....

Name:  yellow-bellied sapsucker A 021615.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  396.9 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame of this sapsucker. Like the high key look. Nice pose and details. I like either or.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the high key approach really helps is making this bird pop. The colors are superb. Excellent job in the detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pane #9 rocks it. I'd wish only that the head was turned a tad more toward us. SH and colors are fabulous.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.