Thread: Pastel portrait...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pastel portrait...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R EF 400DO I 1.4xtc II f7.1 1/1600 ISO 1600

The first evening I arrived to Bunche Beach Preserve, the setting sun was completely blocked by a tall thunderhead. While the direct sunlight was blocked, the sunset colors were everywhere in the sky above and reflected in the OOF water behind this beauty. The available light was very soft. After chasing this beauty 3 times up and down the surf, I finally sat and waited near waters edge. This was a very close (for this skittish beauty) pass in which I could not get the entire bird in my vertical frame. So, this is about 40% of the frame for a soft portrait of my favorite wader.

Thanks to all for very helpful inputs on previous posts. More of the same would be greatly appreciated.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, This is marvellous - the soft whites against this background and showing so much detail in the whites. Beautiful portrait!

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is very nice David.
    I like the squarish crop. Perfect HA.
    At first, I wasn't sure about the "cool" tones of the image but it is growing on me. The color balance seems more like a sunrise situation than a sunset situation.
    I would like to see this image with the bird selected and warmed up a bit to get rid of the blues in the whites.
    Gail

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

.I like this a lot, your beautiful muted image . I agree with Gail about the blues in the bird, but what ever you do don't lose that wonderful background including all those gentle blues.

7. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with the comment about the blues, but the mellow mood of the frame is lovely. Feather detail looks a bit compromised, maybe from NR but I am not familiar with the EOS R and its ability to resolve detail.

9. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Agree with the comment about the blues, but the mellow mood of the frame is lovely. Feather detail looks a bit compromised, maybe from NR but I am not familiar with the EOS R and its ability to resolve detail.
    Hi Dorian,
    Actually no noise reduction on the bird in this one. As it would happen, I was trying the old tc combo without one full stop close down (F8). You really need it for complete details(at least when this close). However, I liked the slight softness in this one and verified during this trip you have to go one full stop for older tcs. Thanks as always for your valued comments.
    Peace,
    David

ps
    In my experience the EOS R can resolve details with the best of them. The older glass combos are obviously not as good at resolving as the newer ones.
    Last edited by David Roach; 05-25-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As to all the boxy crops, whadda you on Instagram?

withy love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    As to all the boxy crops, whadda you on Instagram?

withy love, artie
    As a matter of fact, yes. Actually this one is where I sat and waited right at waters edge and went vertical as this beauty got close. So, this has a little more on the right where the leg begins and some on top and bottom, cropped for portrait. Should I crop differently?
    Peace,
    David

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nope. I was just curious as to why you use so many boxy crops :)

Try 3X2 once in a while, you might like it.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.