Thread: Hate Flies...

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hate Flies...

Attached Images Attached Images

Beginning of winter here in Africa and predators are out and about more often...This is because it is cooler, during the summer they tend to rest in the shade for most of the day.

A few weeks ago I was driving home after a week-end in a nearby reserve when I came upon a lioness with four subadults. The youngsters were fighting over something which I could not see clearly until one of them lifted his head above the tall grass - he was holding the head of a baby warthog in his teeth! My gear was at the back of the truck so I quickly drove away in order to exit the vehicle safely and grab a camera. But by the time I returned the fighting had stopped and the young ones were lying down munching on various bits from the kill.

In May the light is golden at 4:30 pm. But as luck would have it everything was happening on the wrong side of the road and I had the sun in my face. I was trying to change position slowly when suddenly the lioness came running from behind the vehicle. Had no idea she had been on the road as I did not see her get up, vegetation was just too high. She went past my door with such speed that I nearly dropped my gear... By the way I was resting the lens on the window because I had forgotten to grab a bean bag. Then one subadult came from nowhere and started sniffling around the vehicle, unfortunately he was too close for my 500 Lens. It was all so frustrating because so much was happening and I just could not manoeuvre the vehicle quick enough. Had I moved further I could not see them up there on the verge of the road, so eventually I decided to stay in one spot and wait for an opportunity.

What happened next? One youngster ran into the bush with the warthog's head and mom dashed after him. Another one was somewhere in front of my car and the third dropped to the the ground with its back towards me. A little opportunity came eventually, number four was fairly close and at some point lifted his head, annoyed by the flies buzzing around his head. This is probably the best shot I have from the entire sighting, and I am sharing it because I really liked his expression as well as the eye Let me know what you think...

Techs as follows:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 2000
    F10
    1/1250/s

Hope my story was not too long and boring for you, I offered some background so you understand how difficult it has been to obtain this frame. You might complain about the grasses in the FG, I could have cloned them out but eventually decided against it.

Many thanks for taking the time to view, I truly appreciate it. As well as for your comments on my previous images, they are always welcome

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the 'innocence' of this portrait Gabriela and also the fact you can seethe 'dome' of the eye. Perhaps a slight lift, but that's just a personal observation, although a hint more USM will help. Techs look good in some sweet light, lovely!

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve,

It was the "dome" I liked here. And yes a kind of innocence...although when I think of the poor baby warthog

And I shall take another look at the sharpening, much appreciated

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela i think i have seen this frame ....
    Lovely moment captured , well done . Love the look up .... still think needs more space on top , to make it work better . But i know in the heat of the moment , and having your story in mind .... you did well .

Processing looks good to me , details all there and the tonal range / color are working nicely together for a very good image !!! Good work in the field and at the workstation .

Just asking for curiosity .... where was the focal point ? At F10 i would expect more DOF ... as the ear is pin sharp from front to end , but the nose / bridge of nose , straight behind the wonderful is OOF . For me no more USM needed , look at the fine and sharp hairs in the ear .

Very pleasing image Gabriela

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you so much Andreas,

Cannot remember whether it was this frame (meaning OP) or the one after which I shared with you, they are very similar. The next frame was taken at the same ISO and aperture but the resulting SS was 1/2500s. Again, slight softness on the chin. So it could be lack of enough DoF, subject was very close.

Do not know where the FP was because I have not been able to use View Nx for some time now, not compatible Mac OS Sierra or previous. And I have formatted the card already.

Here's the other image, processed with a "lighter hand". Subject's head is turned away a little more here.

BTW I am following Steve's advice and sending everything for cleaning and calibration before the next trip, just in case the issue lies with the gear

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela i do prefer the heavier hand in this instance ...... but the DOF is greater , looks better to me .

Cheers Andreas , have a lovely weekend

And with this one you played the canvas tricks .... i think

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes I "stitched" some canvas at the top

Have a super week-end,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Sweet light and stunning details. Sounds like quite the experience. Neat how you can see the shape of the eye. The neck looks very thick on this guy.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much John, appreciated!

Have a lovely week-end
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- I liked the pose and the framing. Will definitely prefer the second posting but sharpening looks a tad heavy on that. Colours and and separation from BKG along with the pose makes this image for me.

TFS !

11. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Haseeb - as always, I appreciate your comments and thoughts

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea