Thread: Roe deer (Capreolus capreolus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Roe deer (Capreolus capreolus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing to shout about in terms of technical merit but lots in terms of my first siting in the wild and I managed a grab shot, just thought I'd share the moment. I hadn't set the camera for a subject such as this, it just darted out of a hedge and I swung the camera round. The scenario reminds me of when I got my first image of a brown hare, again totally unexpected but a magical moment.

Image input equipment model : E-M1X
    LensModel : M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14
    Lens focal length : 420 mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    PhotographicSensitivity : 640
    Exposure bias : 0 EV
    Exposure time : 1/1000 sec
    F number : F5.6

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a great moment indeed and as a grab shot, well framed, but sadly it's not sharp.

Jon, yes there is some heat haze, but overall it appears dark with that blue cast coming through, it's creating a rather cooler look, were with the weather we have I would expect it to be brighter and richer, but just my take. I'll pop something over, just a thought.

TFS
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 05-22-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Glad to see you back and posting Subject does pop up like a hare from that tall hedge - what a lovely encounter!

Frame seems a tad underexposed and I feel it needs a bit of rotation. Love the lush vegetation, where did you capture this?

Wonderful pose from the "bokkie" (or rather deer) with those hind legs off the ground. SS a bit low but you were taken by surprise, LOL, it happens!

Thank you so much for sharing, let us have some more please

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- Great to have you posting again and a nice encounter indeed. But i too am in agreement with the above , doesn't appear sharp to me and that heat haze is also hampering the image.

What equipment have you used here ? i am not familiar with it.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ooops John a grab shot ... well better than nothing .
    You will know the shortcomings of this frame , and Steve has mentioned something else in terms of color inn which i do agree .

New kit ...? Moved to Olympus ?

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Gabriela if the opportunity every arose again that would be wonderful.
    Haseeb - new system moved to Olympus OMD EM 1X, sold the Canon gear.

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ....just for the sake of interest , why did you move ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon ....just for the sake of interest , why did you move ?
    Hi Andreas,

There was a number of reasons, firstly I felt the days of full frame DSLR very limited - this was reflected in the fast depreciating value of my camera bodies. Secondly mirrorless opens up a whole new range of techniques that are simply not available with full frame. Thirdly the size and weight difference is amazing I walk around with 840mm equivalent and 1DX equivalent that weighs less than a 5DIV and 100-400. The camera body does everything the 1DX does but so much more and QUIETLY, (silent mode is almost noiseless - regular mechanical shutter is much quiter than silent mode in Canon) images at any frame rate you like even up to 60fps (why I don't know!) The focus area is totally customisable any shape any size even multiple shapes. The camera is the most weatherproof on the market . The camera has AI AF system option(artificial intelligence - so far for planes and cars but possibly birds to follow next year)

The decision should not be taken lightly the system is quite simply no good at ISO greater than 3200 but you actually almost gain a stop because you generally use a wider aperture due to greater DOF. No point pretending otherwise.

At low ISO the detail is super though I am struggling a bit with the colour profiles at present - I find them a little too colourful. There is an Olympus version of DPP - quite similar in terms of functionality.
    What really excited me was the potential to take hand held for seconds (depending on lens & subject of course) but the camera has 7.5 EV stabilisation to which can be added lens stabilisation, you can take hand held focus bracketed images hand held or on a tripod, you can make hand held 50MB files or 80 meg files on tripod, it has a setting where you can hand hold and get silky smooth water falls, without the associated colourcast filters give, the list goes on. It is so customizable too - in fact the manual is about 630 pages long!

Cost - at least 1/2 price of 1/3 price of full fame my 600mm equivalent f4 was a little over £2000 - how much is Canon? I think over £10,000. All PRO lenses are weatherproof. (I mean weather proof!) Next year there is a new super zoom with inbuilt TC.
    So lots of advantages but if action in low light is high on the list then the camera is not for you. I am sure in 3 years the EM IX mark II will have an updated sensor.
    Caveat emptor as they say but I am happy.
    One other point it is quite simply so much fun and convenient, I am getting images I just would not have got previously for the very simple reason that I would not have been bothered to carry the bigger camera and lenses. I am not trying to sell it just relating my experience to date, I am simply having much more fun investigating new opportunities.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon ... for the info .
    Had myself a quick read on the web ... nothing for me .
    Would like to know how you would get around with the kit , in the dark boreal forest of Finland !!!

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Thanks Jon ... for the info .
    Had myself a quick read on the web ... nothing for me .
    Would like to know how you would get around with the kit , in the dark boreal forest of Finland !!!

Cheers Andreas
    Andreas that's fine I'm not selling them, as I indicated if you want action in low light this is not for you.

Have another look on the web site it would appear a large number of the Olympus photographers are from Finland and some are natural history photographers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon , thanks for the detailed info. What I understand is that your main concern is weight issue , that definitely helps here but high iso perrformance is a matter of concern. I have heard from Nikon users that new lenses with PF elements are small and very light( low on cost as well) and good in image quality, also they have launched z7 mirrorless camera. So I am sure with things moving in the direction of weight reduction then Canon will also come up with something similar to the above. I think Canon's DO lenses are having similar technology than Nikon's PF elements ?
    Last edited by haseeb badar; 05-24-2019 at 04:47 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Hi Jon , thanks for the detailed info. What I understand is that your main concern is weight issue , that definitely helps here but high iso perrformance is a matter of concern. I have heard from Nikon users that new lenses with PF elements are small and very light( low on cost as well) and good in image quality, also they have launched z6 mirrorless camera. So I am sure with things moving in the direction of weight reduction then Canon will also come up with something similar to the above. I think Canon's DO lenses are having similar technology than Nikon's PF elements ?
    I have no doubt they will Haseeb.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whats been said has been said. Thanks for listing the reasons for switching. Interesting information.