Thread: female peregrine macropus

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default female peregrine macropus

She has decapitated the prey and is taking the remains to the young which have been on the wing of a couple of days.A lot of nesting mess behind in the early morning which I have tried to soften as best I can. Taken on the river Murray in South Aust. last Nov. Early morning but very strong light. can't really change the colours of those old cliffs which up close are jammed full of fresh water oyster shells from millions of years ago. I like the power of this beautiful animal.

Name:  untitled-(1314-of-2361)-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  582.7 KB

D5
    500mm plus 1.4
    iso1600
    1/3200th
    hh
    crop about 25%
    c and c very welcome

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat capture and wing position. What's the prey item? The background is distracting to my eye. You might try opening up the near uderwing a bit to get some more detail (withjout over-doing it ...)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McLachlan View Post
    She has decapitated the prey and is taking the remains to the young which have been on the wing of a couple of days.A lot of nesting mess behind in the early morning which I have tried to soften as best I can. Taken on the river Murray in South Aust. last Nov. Early morning but very strong light. can't really change the colours of those old cliffs which up close are jammed full of fresh water oyster shells from millions of years ago. I like the power of this beautiful animal.

Name:  untitled-(1314-of-2361)-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  582.7 KB

D5
    500mm plus 1.4
    iso1600
    1/3200th
    hh
    crop about 25%
    c and c very welcome
    A terrific close-in view of a high speed subject in action. I'd like to see it with a reduction of the exposure of the bright areas at the top to approximate the same light areas at the bottom.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty neat frame. The prey item is a plus. The bird looks quite contrasty if thats a word. Maybe a little tight at the bottom wing.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks both,will try to tone down the Falcon droppings behind. The prey is a Galah very common and as prey for Peregrines in South East Aust. This frame was taken at 5.37am last Nov. and that morning this pair had fed themselves and 3 young by 6.am. all on galahs . These remains were carted up and down in front of the one remaining unfledged chick to try to get it mobile. Next night it was taken by a European fox , a feral animal in these parts .

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Would love to have this in my files.
    I love the hint of pink on the prey- just enough for me to know it is a galah.
    Agree about toning down the BG and decreasing the contrast a bit.
    Amazing behavior captured here.
    Gail

8. Thanks Ian McLachlan thanked for this post