Thread: Morning dancer says hi...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Morning dancer says hi...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R EF 400DO I 1.4xtc II f6.3 (note trying less than one full stop with old tc) 1/5300 ISO 800

As this beauty was hunting, the morning sun just came over the mangroves. I should have lowered ISO but only spared time to adjust exp comp as I didn't want to miss too much of the action. The brighter spots are from the low angle sun bouncing off water ripples. None were blown but near 250-251. I love that this beauty shot me a look mid dance. A local told me this bird is named after the beach (Bunche) and has an ankle tag and transmitter on his back(including a wire antenna). So nice of him to hide all that with the raised wing.

All comments, suggestions and teachings very welcome.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David:

Nice dance! Well exposed, and the ripples can make it a challenge at times, not to blow the whites.

Nice wing display, head angle.

If you have the canvas, I would prefer him a bit more to the left side of the frame.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man, that far wing is full and thick! Perfect head angle, and nice blue water. I agree with Randy about the comp - less room behind and more in front would improve on that.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Man, that far wing is full and thick! Perfect head angle, and nice blue water. I agree with Randy about the comp - less room behind and more in front would improve on that.
    Randy and Daniel, as always thanks for looking and for your astute suggestions. I totally get your points on the crop and I have more on the right. The reason it is cropped as is has to do with the direction of the look and the knowledge from other images in this sequence. This beauty hopped into this position, immediately spread wings and began to spin to his right. So, I left more room where I know he is going and looking for that matter (more room to look into). I do realize no one else would know this.

Thanks again for your very valued opinions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David:
    Thanks for the explanation about the chosen crop. If you were showing a series of images with the complete turn in it, then by all means, the posted crop would work well. As a stand alone image, I would consider an "adjusted" crop.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, great shot the only adjustment would be the crop and maybe in a 2X3 ratio.

-Tim

8. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    David:
    Thanks for the explanation about the chosen crop. If you were showing a series of images with the complete turn in it, then by all means, the posted crop would work well. As a stand alone image, I would consider an "adjusted" crop.

Cheers

Randy
    Thanks again Randy and I hear you. I went from never having a chance at a white morph to having four visits (late evenings and early mornings) with these beauties almost to myself. I always went vertical when they were getting close as I sat in the sand near the edge of the water. But I do have the room here.
    When it rains it pours...
    Peace,
    David

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good on the EXP and sharpness with a great pose. Bad job on the framing ... I commented first and read your explanation second. It makes zero sense to me. The frames before cannot mean anything to anyone but you. We are trying to help you improve the image. I for one would love to see this as a 2X3 with all the room on the right :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

11. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with what has been said here. But the wing looks huge. The light sure was nice.

13. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Good on the EXP and sharpness with a great pose. Bad job on the framing ... I commented first and read your explanation second. It makes zero sense to me. The frames before cannot mean anything to anyone but you. We are trying to help you improve the image. I for one would love to see this as a 2X3 with all the room on the right :)

with love, artie
    Hi Artie, I was not arguing with the framing point just giving my reasoning (faulty as it is) for framing as is. As I told Randy, I hear you.
    Peace,
    David

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

With suggested composition improvements.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Much, much beetter but I'd still love to see it 3X2.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Much, much beetter but I'd still love to see it 3X2.

a
    Hi Artie,
    You (perhaps mistakenly) said previously 2x3 which I couldn't get since this is cropped from horizontal. It is full frame top to bottom. I will try for 3x2 next. But I am curious why 3x2?
    Peace,
    David
    Last edited by David Roach; 05-22-2019 at 03:57 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Hi Artie,
    You (perhaps mistakenly) said previously 2x3 which I couldn't get since this is cropped from horizontal. It is full frame top to bottom. I will try for 3x2 next. But I am curious why 3x2?
    Peace,
    David
    Yes, I always meant 3X2 so my bad :(

3X2 is the proportion of the RAW files as they come out of the camera. Am I married to 3X2? Not at all; I will go pano at times and boxy at other times depending on the image. Can you post a JPEG that represent the full frame original image capture?

with love, artie

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I always meant 3X2 so my bad :(

3X2 is the proportion of the RAW files as they come out of the camera. Am I married to 3X2? Not at all; I will go pano at times and boxy at other times depending on the image. Can you post a JPEG that represent the full frame original image capture?

with love, artie
    Full frame out of DPP as requested.
    Peace,
    David