Thread: Ridgway's Rail's Bath Time

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ridgway's Rail's Bath Time

I was at Bolsa Chica today when I heard this rather funny loud rhythmic chattering/clapping sound. I followed the sound, and I saw this little guy making the sound. S/he came out of the mangroves, played in the water for a few seconds, and then headed back in. I had no idea what kind of a bird it was, but luckily there was another person there with binocular who identified the bird for me. He seemed extremely excited as he told me that he has been birding for 40+ years and while he thought he had heard the sound a few times in the past, this was apparently the first time he was actually able to see this bird! Apparently it is a near-threatened species of bird...

Name:  190518_173_Bolsa_Chica.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  223.6 KB

Nikon D5, 600mm f/4E on monopod, f/4, 1/2500 sec, ISO 3200, SB-910 flash on bracket, taken about 40 mins before sunset on today's cloudy day,

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great get indeed, and at bath time nonetheless. Love the frozen water and droplets. Love the colors of this beauty. Only wish for lower angle and to raise the exposure. TFS

3. Thanks Kambiz Shoarinejad thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    A great get indeed, and at bath time nonetheless. Love the frozen water and droplets. Love the colors of this beauty. Only wish for lower angle and to raise the exposure. TFS
    Thanks David. Agreed on the angle, but unfortunately lower angle was not possible as I was on the bridge and limited in movement and the bird was down below with no access for me.

And sure, I will play with exposure a bit more. Thanks again for your feedback...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the flying water drops and the behavior you captured.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The splashing water drops are nice. Like the grasses on the right. Doesn't look like this has been flashed.

7. Thanks Kambiz Shoarinejad thanked for this post