Thread: White-tail doe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-tail doe

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 10/4/18 at 5:49PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 1600
    f7.1
    1/1000sec

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice light John and like that bkg as well. To me it appears that the left ear and muzzle are sharper than the eye, where was the FP I wonder ?

Tfs !

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the light and head shot with nice BG. Agree with Haseeb reg the sharpness on the eye. Else, a fine shot.

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, this is a sweet portrait and you have capture some lovely fine detail, you just need to tease it out a bit more.

Again the WB I feel is a bit off, was this processed at the same time as the previous ones, as you need to go a bit warmer on the Temp & more Green on the Tint, as the Magenta is coming through too much. Just simply adjusting some of the Yellow & Orange in both the S & L of the HSL panel helps, but then taking it into PS for a Curves adjustment in both the Midtones and Lights for the ears look at the depth you have caught there, it's really nice image. It also needs a bit more USM, not a huge amount, if you are adding in LR what and how much are you adding, what are the numbers here?

Regarding the DoF, the LH ear, eye and nose are pin sharp, so the RH ear as viewed just lacks DoF, guess you were very close, were you?

TFS
    Steve

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. You would never see light this warm at the locations where i photograph deer locally. Two big hills on the east and west side with very tall trees. I don't know what USM means. Yeah i was pretty close. This white balance is right out the camera nothing done in post. It's usually on auto.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You would never see light this warm at the locations where i photograph deer locally.
    That's fine John, just my take.

I don't know what USM means.
    Unsharp mask, it's in PS Top menu Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp mask. In LR in the Detail panel (see attached), do you apply and Sharpening, Noise Reduction etc here prior to Exporting to PS? If so what is the Amount, Radius, Detail, Masking?

This white balance is right out the camera nothing done in post. It's usually on auto.
    Fine, leave it in Auto WB, but you do try to find the mid grey point you said on a previous thread, the 50/50/50 or there abouts, so you do look for a starting point, just trying to understand and hopefully get some help on sorting out a general colour balance to start with.

If you can PM me with the answers I will endeavour to help here. Are you Exporting the file via LR for web? If so, again if you can tell me the set up here to that would be helpful.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,what a stunner of a frame , love the pose bkg and the tips of grass at the base

John how did you get so close?? What methods are you using to do this ??

Nice frame John lovely detail lovely light, Are these this years fawns?

Sorry soo many questions................... USM unsharp masking: a form of sharpening,as opposed to the USM canon use with a certain type of motor that powers AF,I think it's ultra stepping motor,but I'll stand correction

TFS

stu

11. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John ,

Another beautiful doe! Nice HA, pose and wonderful detail. I like the framing too.

It's just those colour casts...I know, finding the right pixel is not always easy, I struggle too sometimes. But using "auto" in LR is like guesswork. Works in some situations, mostly when the lighting conditions were good at the time one took the shot. When the lighting was tricky "auto" seems to introduce colour casts, rather than remove them. I'd much prefer to move those temperature and tint sliders until the image starts looking better So I do like Steve's RP. You don't have to go that warm if you feel the image does not reflect the actual conditions, but look how the blue cast has disappeared
    Glad to see you posting more of those lovely Does - they are so pretty! And I see Stu Phillpot is back - welcome back, Stu- hopefully you motivate him to go out there and take some images, we've missed him

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

13. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John another great portrait , well done and you must have good fieldcraft to get that close ... or are they just so habituated to humans ?

Nice detail and sharp where it counts , i do agree with Steve about the WB and his RP is a good example . I might go not that far away from your OP and i think the RP is a bit flat in the tonal range , some form got lost on the way , albeit there is more shadow detail . Just a matter of taste at times .

Very nice one !!!

TFS Andreas

15. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks, The deer are very tame here. Which allows for close approach.

Stuart,

These are all from last year. They should be having their new fawns anytime now. I usaully just sit or stand and the deer will slowly work their way towards you.

Steve, Thanks for the anwsers.

17. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post