Thread: Red-billed Gull having a squawk!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-billed Gull having a squawk!

Attached Images Attached Images

The Red-billed Gull is a small pale gull, endemic to New Zealand. They are widely spread throughout the country but in recent years the populations have crashed and they are considered a threatened species.

The feet, bill and eyelid are bright (coral) red during the summer breeding period and fade somewhat in the autumn/fall.

This shot was taken exploring the reef shore and the background is the ocean. There was a small breeding colony nearby.

Canon EOS 1 DX with EF 200-400 with Extender at 454 mm, hand-held
    1/1250 sec at f/5.6, ISO 2000 on an overcast day
    Post production in DPP and Photoshop 2019 CC - minor adjustments with Curves to bring out feather detail.

Thanks for looking - comments and suggestions very welcome.

Gerald

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome looking gull. Love the red feet and bill. Calling pose is nice as well. Nice rock perch. Background is nice as well.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A sublime canvas overall. Congrats. TFS

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent color and pose. The open beak is a plus. The curves of the bird create a nice composition. The dark area of the background underneath the tail is a little I distracting and I would see if there was a way to blend that into lighter tones.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the mood to this shot, and the red adds a nice crack to the otherwise (but nicely!) muted frame. Something is off with the bird's face. It looks washed out and less-contrasty than they rest of the image (i.e the tail and feet)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, thanks for your perceptive comment. The back of the head was a little too bright and the underside a little too shadowed, so I tried to even these out a little. Maybe that has given rise to what you see as being washed out. However, also worth considering that the feathers on these gulls are very smooth and without texture, maybe making the correction more difficult - beyond my PS skills. Thanks and best wishes, Gerald

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald, a very simple, yet effective portrait, good timing on the open bill.

Shooting wide open on the 200-400 I think you could have gone for a tad more DoF, just a sliver more. Good detail overall but just opening it up a bit more helps. Agree that the head feathers are smooth, but adding a Curves adjustment in the quarter tones just pulls a bit more form out, adding Contrast is a big no no and not the right route. Maybe pull the luminance back on the red, gives a bit more detail in the bill & legs I think. Like the pastel backdrop, but would have liked a tad more of the perch, it feels as if the image is falling slightly out of the frame for me.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this image an wish that it were mine but that would be a trick as I have never been to NZ. The d-o-f looks absolutley perfect to me and the face and feathers look fine as well. The only thing that bugs me is the dakrer smudge below the end of the wings. Even the white border at tht top adds.

with love, artie

ps: Oh what a bird! I love gulls.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I always appreciate your thoughts and comments. Will attempt your suggested curves adjustment. The reds are quite 'true to life' as they really are quite strong in the breeding season.

Thanks and best wishes, Gerald

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, thanks for the kind comments. You really should add New Zealand to your bucket list. There are something like 93 endemic species that you won't see anywhere else. I often recall your comment about shooting gulls - in five minutes they will always be doing something special!

Best wishes, Gerald

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald, prior to commenting I did a revision, in that way I know my comments have foundation re PP. Rather than cluttering the post, happy to send it over if you drop me a line, albeit from a 256 sRGB file. Prior to Artie’s comment I did remove the ‘smudge’ too and it definitely improves the file, worth a revisit if you have time. Reds no problem, it was just a suggestion, as Saturation can get ramped up, smothering subtle detail.

Current out, back in a few hours.

cheers
    Steve