Thread: Gently does it...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gently does it...

Attached Images Attached Images

Just another from Meerkat manor at Tswalu. This we guy was after rather large, flying insect, once caught it was demolished within a matter of seconds and then onto the next meal.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Meerkat (Suricata suricatta) stalking it's prey
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 100-400f/4.5 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO640
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop top & RHS
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good evening Steve,

Very nice surprise, glad to see you have more from Tswalu

I really like the light and colours here, typical of the area. The little chap stalking the bug... he must have gobbled it in a fraction of a second, they are incredibly fast!

Never easy to get detail in the eye when it comes to those those little chaps, so I like to see the eye for a change. In most of my images it is really dark and it takes a bit of "effort" to get detail there. Especially when the image was captured at lunch time, such harsh light and shadows...

Lovely behavioural frame and I love the pose. There's nice detail in the paw too, one can see those sharp nails. That clean BG is awesome. I would really love to capture a meerkat catching a scorpion, only had one opportunity once but wasn't quick enough, by the time I realised what was going on it was too late

Enjoyed viewing Steve, thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice and sharp with some nice light as well. Looks like the meerkat is going to pet the ground. That was my first impression. The composition is right on.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Meerkat's always makes for a fun subject to watch and you have got it in a nice stalking a bug pose. I loved those sharp little claws and the intentness on its face. Really liked the redness of the soil and the warmth emanating from it. Excellent details and sharpness. I dont mind the head in immediate conflict with the shrub behind it but would always prefer a clean bkg like the one behind its rump. All in all a fine image.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, a fine image with nice pose and colours. The raised front limb with those sharp claws is superb. Nicely seen and photographed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve always great to see and photograph these guys in close range .
    Love the overall color palette , specially the red sand !!!
    Personally i think , you have better ones , as i do think the shrub is bit unfortunate , but nothing you could have done about it . A bit more DOF would have been better i think ...and i would prefer more overall tone across the tonal range , just me . Having the bright light in mind i would expect deeper shadows , but for sure you prefer a different tonal range , so no problem .

TFS Andreas