Thread: Kamtchatka Brown Bear exchanging arguments

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kamtchatka Brown Bear exchanging arguments

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks just another one from Kamtchatka ....this time from Kambalnaya River , where mainly large males has been present .

So from time to time , there was a little bit of discussion going on about the fishing spot . No real hard fights just some slapping ...maybe !!! But impressive to watch those guys .
    Wish i had a shorter lens on hand at time of capture ...but all happens quickly and short , so you here something going on and just fire a couple of frames , as action took place quite close to us at times .

So i tried my best , still had to add canvas on top of the frame for better comp .

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    Tripod

F 6,3 ; Iso 5000 ; 1/2000 sec ; man exp and Auto Iso ; more DOF would have not hurt to get both bears in the focal plane .

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2019 ; added canvas to the top and cropped a bit from the bottom

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- What a moment ! Your field craft is exceptional. to capture the moment so close with a TC must need some real quick reflexes, definitely that tightness in the frame had been eliminated had the TC been not there but you already had mentioned in your intro. Very nice details and sharpness and I like that saliva splattered all over. Nice bkg to get that separation. I really liked this one inspite of the tight frame. Agree on your self critique for some more dof .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely without the TC would have been better, IQ, more choice in crop... thought you had another body?

more DOF would have not hurt to get both bears in the focal plane .
    More SS and DoF, I wonder where that would've taken the ISO, looks like the left bear was behind the right one.

Just interested, was this single point or AF expansion and was it on the LH Bear Andreas and Metering was Evaluated? I like the interaction, drooling saliva and gaping mouths, I just would have liked the ears in on the RH bear to balance the left, but as you said it all happens when you least expect it.

Well done in getting what you did.

TFS
    Steve

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you got the caption wrong! Shouldn't it be "Two British Politicians discussing Brexit!" - or is that too political...

Even if you have shot this at 700mm - you were much closer than I would be comfortable with such an argument.

Best wishes, Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb , Steve and Gerald thanks for your kind comments , much appreciated .

Gerald .... well it could be , but do not want to step on toes . No problem being that close ...

Steve ....Iso no problem for gaining more SS/DOF , the other body is not in reach in seconds and it all goes on in seconds !!!!! So i rather take the shots .... instead of swapping the kit . Evaluated metering , AF expansion just got the lips of the LHS bear ...i think the right one is closer !!!! Folks from my POV the best i could get from the given situation ... for sure i would have like the TC off or the 200 - 400 in my hand , but it was not and i can live with it . And for sure i would have loved the ears in from the RHS bear !!!

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

AF expansion OK, and my thought the RH bear was closer fine. The 500 would give you a better result than the 200-400 no question and probably just the right amount of framing for a slight crop, but again this is all with hindsight and a night comfy studio share to reflect on.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes from my comfy chair i would have acted differently .... for the perfect shot , and told the RHS bear to stay in my focal plane ..... and allow to me to bracket the exposures for the perfect exposure , as i have slightly clipped the HL in the raw , but with my gorgeous technique easily recovered .
    There are a lot of frames in this short fight .... but all of them have somehow shortcomings in terms of framing or the bears not being in a good pose ...thats how it is .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

and allow to me to bracket the exposures for the perfect exposure , as i have slightly clipped the HL in the raw
    I hate to tell you Andreas, but I doubt the RAW file is really clipped unless it was massively over, which I doubt it was, it's only DPP, LR, ACR, C1... that cannot render the file correctly, most of the time, Raws that 'appear' perfectly exposed, are in fact 2/3rds under and that goes for both Canon & Nikon. I would also suggest you explore changing your Metering depending on the scene, as it can make a difference, just throwing it out there.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Boetie Andreas,

Awesome capture and lots of drama, wish I could see this with my own eyes!

Image well processed and I love the vivid greens in the BG as well as those rich browns of the bears. The expression in their eyes tells the story, as well as the visible teeth and curled upper lips.
    Won't mention what has already been discussed, and won't ask to see the RAW either because I seem to have a problem with email I think you did your very best under the circumstances and really impressed with your PP work - beautiful detail where it matters and IQ is great for relatively high ISO, nicely done

Hope you have a wonderful week-end and thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would be beyond pleased with a frame like this. Love the interaction and the moment captured here. Yes you can think about what you would have done after the fact and be more prepared for next time. But this is still great in my book. Well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, super interaction and expressions here. Love it a lot. Nice details, sweet BG and am glad you got this shot rather than trying to change kit. Well done. A fine shot indeed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela , John and Sanjeev for your kind comments , much appreciated .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    I hate to tell you Andreas, but I doubt the RAW file is really clipped unless it was massively over, which I doubt it was, it's only DPP, LR, ACR, C1... that cannot render the file correctly, most of the time, Raws that 'appear' perfectly exposed, are in fact 2/3rds under and that goes for both Canon & Nikon. I would also suggest you explore changing your Metering depending on the scene, as it can make a difference, just throwing it out there.
    Nothing new .... but no way to avoid a profile as a starting point in the raw conversion , no matter what brand you use . It would be good to have the real linear capture of the image , but even in C1 i think the curve is not real linear , but do not know exactly . Well if time allows it might be possible to change the metering ... i can clearly live best with evaluate . have no idea what would have worked better in this case .

Cheers Andreas