Thread: White-tail Doe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-tail Doe

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 6/5/18 at 6:13PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 3200
    f6.3
    1/1000sec

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Again John, I like the framing here as the Doe emerges from the grasses, but the WB like the fawn is off. If you get the balance better, drop some blue too you don't have the cast in the whites and surrounding fur. May be darkening the surrounding FG grass helps, the dark tree trunk is a bit unfortunate, but that's life, albeit you can address this if you wish.

Things are definitely improving John and all going in the right direction, you jsut need to hone the WNB more and you'll have a great platform to build on your images.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John another nice solid shot of this species !!
    WB does look slightly better IMHO .... would be interested about your thoughts !

TFS Andreas

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John,

Very nice techs and the subject is sharp with good detail - I really like the way you captured this Doe emerging from those tall grasses.

Nice composition too, perhaps a bit more at the bottom if you have it. And I agree with Steve about the blue cast, easy fix if you like.

Really pleased for you, you are producing such lovely work and spending time out there experimenting - enjoying your posts, please keep them coming

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Folks. Regarding the white balance. Got a 50,50,50 reading of part of the nose with the eye dropper. Well it was more like 50.7,50.1,50.4 something like that.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, you are doing it right John, but achieving the correct WB must be the first thing you do to avoid colour casts. Also change the Profile in the Basic Panel to Adobe Standard, NOT that crappy Adobe Colour. Reduce the Blue, but once you have a close 50, 50, 50 you can then adjust the colour accordingly albeit a Global adjustment, PS is far better for the finer tweaks. I think John you are adding Vibrance which introduces more Yellow, Saturation will only add in only the top 50% f colour. I'm second guessing without know the Workflow chain.