Thread: Female Red Head Duck

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Female Red Head Duck

Attached Images Attached Images

This was taken in Nd . Central Flyway offers plenty of opportunities. Ducks are on the wild side. I have a float-able portable blind. Heavily camouflaged with marsh grasses and cattails but birds still seem to
    know I am there. See them as they approach and they will start swimming sideways. Float able blind is easily transported into the sloughs but very hard to focus if any wind. Sort of like a fishing bobber.
    Canon 5D Mark IV
    500F/4L IS
    1000mm
    Av
    ISO 2000

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The low angle is spot on. Sweet light as well. Love that background. I would sharpen the head some more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with sharpening the head (and wish for a better head angle), but I like the light, low angle, colours. Sometimes a little enticement via audio (done judiciously of course) gets the more skittish ducks to investigate closer, but yes, they are often too smart and too aware of human presence!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The low angle and sweet light are just great. A floating hide can be great when the water is calm, but any waves are a killer!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great Kevin! Love the low POV and the nice warm colors. Exposure, details and BG look nice too. Well done.

P.S. I just read your comment on my Peregrine image and I also talked to tricky dick a couple days ago and he mentioned you. I didn't know you were a falconer!!
    Small world, especally us falconers
    P.M. me your email and we can keep in touch and share some images.

Take it easy
    David
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loverly. Yes to a tad more of a head trun and a bit more room below. Killer low perspective and sweet, sweet, light.

BTW, the bird is a Redhead. One word, no duck needed :)

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.