Thread: immature southern cassowary

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default immature southern cassowary

Attached Images Attached Images

This chick has lost its stripes is just starting to develop adult features. The pink wattles are starting to grow on the neck, the casque is starting to grow on the forehead, blue coloring is developing around the eye, and the fur is starting to go black. For reference I posted it's father a couple of days ago, so you can see how much more it will change. Myall Creek, Cape Tribulation.
    400mm, 1/125, f3.5, ISO10000.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg,
    I take it you aren't intending to take this one home and raise it as a 'pet'. Recent news items suggest they don't make great house guests. And if his father was still around, that could have been rather dangerous!
    The chick looks good and the messy forest behind tells the story of where he lives albeit, the trunk crossing the neck is a bit unfortunate. How tall is the chick at this stage?
    Makes me think of images/drawings I have seen of the extinct Moa!

Gerald

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool to see the details on this young one and in natural habitat. Love those feet... TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I enjoy just looking at these birds so I like this enviromental look at one.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite the difference between the juvenile and the adult. Like the environment here. Looks good for the high ISO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The main issue id the branch cutting behind the neck (and to a lesser degree the other one sticking out of the back). The rest of the surroundings are fine by me as a good depiction of their habitat. Good head angle from this individual.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for the comments. Agree on the difficult background, particularly behind the neck, but these sightings are fleeting without may compositional options.
    Gerald: this one would be about 75cm tall, so about half as tall as its dad. I read about the death in Florida, they are well known to be dangerous. When I see one I always have an escape route in mind! That said they are normally calm, and just want to get on with their day. I think if you got between the dad and the chick it might be a different story, or if you cornered one so it could not move...