Thread: Tiger-Scape Dudhwa !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger from Dudhwa!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone . Thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post, as always much appreciated.

Here is a Tiger image from an area where it is extremely difficult to sight this Big cat. Known as the Dudhwa Tiger reserve on the border of Uttar pradesh and Nepal. It is famous for its beautiful Terai landscape and the Great one horned Indian Rhinocerous but notorious for poaching. Mr.Billy Arjan Singh successfully reintroduced the hand reared tigress known as Tara (of Siberian gene) way back in 1976 which he acquired from Twycross Zoo in the United Kingdom, and reintroduced her to the wild in the Dudhwa National Park with the permission of India's then Prime Minister. There are still some theories reg the hybrid ( Bengal and Siberian) genepool of Dudhwa Tiger's but nothing conclusive whatsoever. But the Park shot to fame in the process and was given some protection otherwise this immensely beautiful landscape , rich with flora and fauna, had been a thing of past.

This particular female was an unusually heavily built female which we came across on our first safari in this part of the forest. Pretty lucky to sight a tiger here as our remaining 12 safari's were pretty much a no show in terms of tiger sightings.

DPP 4, PSCC 2019, WB, Curves, selective colour, colour balance, NR, cloned out a vehicle in the bkg, cropped slightly from the bottom of the frame for a more pano feel.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400mm f4 @ 400mm, Bean Bag.

ss 1/640, f/5.6, iso 6400.

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions be it of any nature.

Haseeb.
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 05-31-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful tigerscape, Haseeb. Of all the images you posted lately this one stands out with an impact that forces the viewer to pay attention

I like the pano here and the tigress being so small in the frame almost makes her look vulnerable. I somehow wish she was even more off centre, ideally on the left side of the path - but I suppose this is where you found her.

Love the eerie feel, the faint orange glow here and there, those trees on both sides of the path each one growing from the shade of its neighbour.

Cannot help but wonder what Wordsworth would have thought of this... your frame prompted me to think of this English Romantic poet, his belief was that travel through nature was a necessary antidote to the evils of the city - I think he was right

I took great delight in viewing this post, congratulations!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the leading lines the trees and road make. Leads you right towards the tiger. Composition looks good as well.

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Haseeb, really enjoying your departure into more of these wider aspects, a cool move.

To me, this is more about 'scene setting' thant critical sharpness & techs to a degree. Loving the way the canopy of the trees make the arch to frame the subject. Central placement works, I think taking it off can also let the viewers eye follow the road to the subject. Just a thought and again, pushed it a bit more so you can see the change, but creating a 'pillar box' vignette here to darken the surround to again lead the eye to the subject might be an alternative addition? How much opacity is again personal and retaining the saturated light is important IMHO.

TFS
    Steve

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela , John and Steve.

@ Gabriela - Thank you for your kind words. I do have the tiger on the lhs of the frame but the vehicle in bkg was very much inline with the tigress and also there was lack of eye contact from the subject. Hence opted for this frame. Mr.Wordsworth is spot on and anyone will reaffirm his lines if they happen to visit this beautiful terrai forest of Dudhwa. Will post an Elephant image in some more errie settings surrounded by tall Sal trees.

@ Steve: You have me in two minds now , your RP definitely takes the viewers eye straight onto the tigress, will try and reprocess on same lines. This year I was more inclined for some environment/habitat shots and luckily for me some of my favourite subjects just obliged. I wish to find some good printer to complete the process.

Thank you everyone once again and your suggestions are as always much appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wish to find some good printer to complete the process.
    Don't want to go off topic here Haseeb, but Printer, as in, you want to print yourself, or find someone to print for you?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would prefer someone printing for me .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would prefer someone printing for me .
    OK, if you do find someone, get them to supply the ICC Printer profiles to you.

12. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb what a lovely tigerscape...!!!
    You got lucky to find this tigress in that tunnel , and interesting to hear about the genetics of the species . Really wondering that they introduced siberian tiger into the bengal area ....

I do really like concept within this shot and as said before the " tunnel effect " is a great thing ....created such a great depth to the frame . I think the OP is quite realistic in terms of color and tone ....maybe a bit too bright in the HL .

Steve has created a nice and pleasing RP .... just his vision , might not go along with other views .

Enjoyed watching ...TFS Andreas

14. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Andreas — thank you for comments and suggestions. I kept the HL on the forest track and in BKG a bit bright as it was giving better separation to the Tiger .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good thinking Hsseeb, if it got a fraction too dark you could also do a negative or reverse vignette too, multiple options available, an image with many options

17. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb ok thanks for more detailed info .... i meant a gentle touch , not a big one , i bet nobody would have said something about it .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb, this is a lovely tigerscape with good depth and framing. Am glad your going wide has paid off in the last couple trips. I like the original and what Steve has done with the RP. Will keep in mind in my next trip.

20. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Andreas
    @ Steve - since we all approach differently and hence have different ideas, glad that this image produces so many different takes.

@ Doc - More habitat shots on way to tempt you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love, love, love this spectacuar image. I only wish that the tiger were on the opposite side of the road ...

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

23. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Sir Artie: I have that frame as well where the tiger is on the lhs of the road but there is lack of eye contact and the vehicle behind it had no separation from the subject hence went for this frame where the tiger is more upright.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All we can do is our best. As I look at this again, I actually like the position of the cat and still love the image.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

26. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post