Thread: platypus

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default platypus

Attached Images Attached Images

Just a little platypus, this one is about 40cm. It is in deep shade, unfortunately with the oily fur and rubbery bill there is a strong reflection of the blue sky and clouds. My polarizer may have helped control this, but was not in my bag for some reason... only one person to blame.
    400mm, 1/320, f8, ISO16000.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Greg,

This is one of the most interesting looking creatures on the Planet And you did your best under the circumstances, pushing the camera's capabilities as far as you thought was reasonable. Don't know what equipment you use as you do not mention it, but I see no noise as such which is a good thing. Composition is great and the subject fills the frame nicely, lovely pose too.

Ideally the face/eyes could be sharper but not sure it was possible as the subject is partially immersed in water. Good thinking on DoF, I just find the SS quite low. The blue cast you mentioned - or reflection rather - you can remove to some extent, if you like. I really have no idea what this animal looks like in real life so I do not dare comment on colour

Looking forward to what the others say, and also hoping you have some more images of this semi-aquatic species, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, it is an interesting creature. I had worked aggressively on the blue shy reflection, but this was the best I was able to do. The conditions are challenging, but I like to find different creatures. Have you ever photographed something like a sea otter feeding? It has a similar problem in looking not sharp. Water is sheeting off the fur in the few second it is on the surface, including the eye. Interesting fact, the platypus closes its eye under water, and senses for prey with sensors in the bill.
    I'll keep trying until I get one with the underwater camera, that will solve all the problems.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Greg,

It would be fun to get an underwater camera, I also thought about it at some stage. But things would get too complicated...and not sure I want more gear at this stage

Interesting about the sensors in the platypus's bill. I'll do some reading, would like to know more about the species
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg ... what a stunner from the pure sighting POV . The Platypus is such a special species ...so unique in many ways !!!
    Seen them myself in 1995 ..... well long ago .
    Where have you taken the image ...?
    Image could stand some more tonal depth and needs some color correction , i am ok with the blues would give them more depth !!! There is some magenta in the fur that i would correct ....and would drop the exp a tad more .

Thanks that you posted this , enjoyed to watch this .

Cheers Andreas

Gabriela - i bet an underwater housing would not help i think , they are so shy and very often swimming in this fuzzy water , you will not see much under the water surface .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So cool to see a platypus on here. Looks pretty good for the high ISO. More room behind would be nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John and Andreas for the comments. The color here is tough, but I'd also note that this is in deep shade, so the light contains more of the blue part of the spectrum than the red. There are options as to whether to reproduce as seen, or correct for a different spectrum.
    This was taken in the tablelands near Cairns. The water is cloudy, made worse by a historic wet season. I am searching other creeks for clearer water, but even this one may get clearer if the wet season ever ends. So I won't give up on my underwater camera - although I would not be in the water, just holding it from the bank. Platypus close their eyes underwater so I may be able to sneak an image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg -- Interesting to see this specie posted here, havent see it before myself , so really enjoyed viewing this one. Agree with the above suggestions reg improving this image.

Nice one. TFS !

9. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg, a super rare encounter, a species I have never seen too. Tough situation and light but you did your best. TFS.

11. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I absolutley love this one for the uniqueness of both the creature and the photo. Fantastic.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie, appreciated.