Canon 500 f.4 is II
    iso 400
    1/2500
    f.4

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gio,

Thank you for sharing this, I suspect it is part of the mating ritual or maybe the lioness is rejecting this male's advances for some reason. Were there any cubs or subadults around? It would have been good if you wrote a small intro so we can understand the "situation", or rather, what the "discussion" was about.

Judging by the HL on the female's face the light must have been pretty harsh, or perhaps you were a little extreme with PP work. Did you apply a colour filter over the entire image? I also see some repetitive patterns in the vegetation at the top, looks a bit odd.

Regarding techs, SS is great but DoF not enough. You witnessed some great interaction and the display of aggression is awesome but with the subjects turned away this isn't working for me, sorry. I also find the crop too tight on the RHS.

Really hope you have more images from this sighting, there must have been plenty of action

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Hello Gio,

Thank you for sharing this, I suspect it is part of the mating ritual or maybe the lioness is rejecting this male's advances for some reason. Were there any cubs or subadults around? It would have been good if you wrote a small intro so we can understand the "situation", or rather, what the "discussion" was about.

Judging by the HL on the female's face the light must have been pretty harsh, or perhaps you were a little extreme with PP work. Did you apply a colour filter over the entire image? I also see some repetitive patterns in the vegetation at the top, looks a bit odd.

Regarding techs, SS is great but DoF not enough. You witnessed some great interaction and the display of aggression is awesome but with the subjects turned away this isn't working for me, sorry. I also find the crop too tight on the RHS.

Really hope you have more images from this sighting, there must have been plenty of action

Kind regards,

Yes there were some babies also if I no saw them. Using a long lens was no possible more space...
    I attached another..
    No filter used in pp

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gio a great scene you captured ...top notch .

Image is completely overprocessed as all of your recent postings ...sadly i have to say that again .
    To be really honest ...you ruined the image with your work at the computer ....from the pure technical aspect . I would overthink my workflow , if i was you !!!!
    Work with a more gentle hand .

Sorry does sound harsh .... but just my opinion ,,, must not be yours or others !!!

TFS Andreas

@ Gabriela -- light does not look that harsh , look at the long shadows

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Gio,

It is unfortunate that sometimes we are able to witness such amazing interaction but the subjects are turned away from us. Having said this, I think I prefer the second image where the faces of both lion and lioness are more visible. And yes I do agree with Andreas, you need to review your workflow
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Gio,

It is unfortunate that sometimes we are able to witness such amazing interaction but the subjects are turned away from us. Having said this, I think I prefer the second image where the faces of both lion and lioness are more visible. And yes I do agree with Andreas, you need to review your workflow
    Thanks a lot
    I no used any pugin or filter but will try again and..if possible...I will show again

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

better ?

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Giovanni, I agree the processing is not too good. I suggest go to camera raw, open file set to default. Then consider carefully what does the histogram look like. Is the image under exposed? Are the shadows too deep, is the contrast a little strong? Just go through things slowly and move the sliders gradually and watch the effect. I suspect you have good images there.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have sharply captured a great interaction, but agree the processed image looks weird...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greg cowle View Post
    You have sharply captured a great interaction, but agree the processed image looks weird...
    Thanks a lot Greg,,but to try to change I need know what you find weird.
    I ni used sharp and I only converted the raw file.
    Do you think it could be becouse too much warm colour ?
    I changed in camera AWB in more warm temperature..but I no think it could be important ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Gio,

I had a look at your last image - thinking you probably shot a burst, a number of consecutive frames, all at F4. Do you think F4 was enough, or more was needed? With all the commotion the focal point probably landed on the lion's body somewhere - please check? The lioness's face isn't sharp, I am afraid.

Another thing, cloning is once again visible in the last image, this time at the bottom of the frame - a number of repetitive patterns which are pretty obvious. There are online tutorials that teach us how to use photoshop tools in order to add canvas or remove unwanted elements in an image, one just needs to put in the time.

Same goes with the processing, you need to learn what the software can do for you - there are online courses and books etc. We all agree, your images look over processed, usually too much saturation and contrast. If you think this is how they come out of the camera, then maybe you should use the flat picture style and build your image from there?

One more thing, if there are highlights you can deal with those in camera raw, also by playing with exposure, brightness, selective colour... see what works best

Thank you so much for sharing! I am always happy to view your images and hear about your travels, Gio. Wish we could help you more, unfortunately processing is for most photographers a "lonely affair", we all sit in front of our computers for hours trying to learn new things and make our images look better

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Gio,

I had a look at your last image - thinking you probably shot a burst, a number of consecutive frames, all at F4. Do you think F4 was enough, or more was needed? With all the commotion the focal point probably landed on the lion's body somewhere - please check? The lioness's face isn't sharp, I am afraid.

Another thing, cloning is once again visible in the last image, this time at the bottom of the frame - a number of repetitive patterns which are pretty obvious. There are online tutorials that teach us how to use photoshop tools in order to add canvas or remove unwanted elements in an image, one just needs to put in the time.

Same goes with the processing, you need to learn what the software can do for you - there are online courses and books etc. We all agree, your images look over processed, usually too much saturation and contrast. If you think this is how they come out of the camera, then maybe you should use the flat picture style and build your image from there?

One more thing, if there are highlights you can deal with those in camera raw, also by playing with exposure, brightness, selective colour... see what works best

Thank you so much for sharing! I am always happy to view your images and hear about your travels, Gio. Wish we could help you more, unfortunately processing is for most photographers a "lonely affair", we all sit in front of our computers for hours trying to learn new things and make our images look better

Kind regards,
    Thanks a lot Gabriela..you are a very help for me. Off course I am sad becuse I no try to have the best from my photos but I am trying to go on . Next month I will do a photoshop course ..and I hope I will be try to have better elaboration (I no would like know too much but only as be alble to have a good photo . What you think I will must ask to my tutor ? (I think no too much...but well)
    Ciao
    Gio

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Giovanni, I don't know what the problem is, but as others have noted it seems crunchy/contrasty, noisy in one, colors different between the subsequent captures. I tend to be more gentle in my processing than others here, so can't easily pinpoint one issue. But if you say the raw isn't changed much, I'd start with the camera style you have set, maybe the sharpness, contrast or saturation has moved away from the defaults. I like the action you capture, so I hope you get it sorted out.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greg cowle View Post
    Hi Giovanni, I don't know what the problem is, but as others have noted it seems crunchy/contrasty, noisy in one, colors different between the subsequent captures. I tend to be more gentle in my processing than others here, so can't easily pinpoint one issue. But if you say the raw isn't changed much, I'd start with the camera style you have set, maybe the sharpness, contrast or saturation has moved away from the defaults. I like the action you capture, so I hope you get it sorted out.
    Thankk a lot Greg for your help
    I think no probem in camera (if no the Awb setting) becouse I shoot in raw so Sharpness and contrast no is possible change ..but offcourse there is something wrong in my pp that I am no able to find...and then fix.
    I tried again to make pp but no found right workflow also trying to avoid pluging or particular pp settiing.
    Off course I am in trouble becouse I am sure (or I hope) some photos could be better than I have...and I am a bit sad no be able to find solution.
    Ciao

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Gio,

I think the idea to go for a Photoshop course is excellent. There are courses online too, but best if you can spend some with the tutor and ask questions.

Another thought, if you plan to come to Zimanga again then make sure you spend some time with Hendri. I am sure he will also share some of his knowledge with you

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gio at first get the raw processing right .... photoshop is just for fine tuning or creative stuff .
    My initial feeling is , you already push things too far in the raw process !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Photoshop is useless if you are not able to master the raw processing !!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gio, I think it could be a combination of many things here and all we can do without seeing the Raw is to make assumptions.

1. The camera may not be set up correctly in both usage of Focus points & the Cases
    2. More SS ie 1/3200 minimum to capture the speed of the situation and more DoF here as you had very low ISO
    3. Was IS engaged on the lens?
    4. Was the image correctly exposed ie ETTR, or under exposed?
    5. Are your cropping hard, something that is always to be avoided.

If all are right then...

6. Is your monitor correctly set up & calibrated?
    7. Is light hitting your monitor screen and creating a much 'lighter' image here and so you are darkening them, and why your images are often so dark?

I think Gio there are a whole raft of unanswered issues that without knowing the full picture it's hard to make an real progessive feedback, all I would say is the second frame is an awesome capture. I hope your PS sessions help and it's with folk who understand Adobe, and so you know how to import, catalogue and process to final output, good luck.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Gio,

I think the idea to go for a Photoshop course is excellent. There are courses online too, but best if you can spend some with the tutor and ask questions.

Another thought, if you plan to come to Zimanga again then make sure you spend some time with Hendri. I am sure he will also share some of his knowledge with you

Kind regards,

Off course ..I said to Charl to book him for me !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot for your words Steve !