Thread: Lioness

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lioness

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks have not posted a cat for a longer time ....
    So here you go ...a fresh lady walking back to her relatives , after having a drink . Overcast day .....and a long way for her to walk to the others .
    Passed my vehicle on her way ....
    Hope you like it .

Canon EOS q1Dx
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    Bean bag

F 6,3 ; Iso 2000 ; 1/1600 sec ; man exp and Auto Iso ; even at 1/1600 sec there is motion blur in the paw .... and she did not walk fast

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2019 ; slightly cropped from all sides 85 % of FF

Thanks for looking and leaving a comment

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A solid portrait Andreas, with super muted colours and stare. Good details, techs and sharpness. If I were to nit pick I would only wish the rear leg paw wasn't in the frame but its no big deal. Good techs and framing. TFS.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Andreas I am hesitant to say anything because I know you are fastidious over processing, but the image seems to lack a little "oomph". I have taken the liberty of a slight adjustment - WDYT?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Boetie Andreas,

What I like most about this frame is the direct look from the lioness and her mouth half open - hmmm...I think she found you just as interesting as you found her

I gather from your intro that there wasn't much time to compose as she was walking, therefore the presence of her "majesty's" hind leg in the frame. Perhaps not ideal, but on the other hand it is never a good thing to start the vehicle or try reposition when so close to the species. The last thing one wants is to stress them or annoy them, because every experience counts and will affect their behaviour towards humans in the future.

Colours are consistent with lighting conditions on an overcast day, so happy with this as presented. I do like the bit of "oomph" in Jon's RP but you were there and it's up to you how far you wish to push things.

Nice detail and sharpening looks good, I also like the soft BG and that bit of blur in the paw. Looking at the other, R front paw, one can actually see how lions walk in what is called a "digitate" fashion, meaning the bones are adapted in a way that allows them to walk on their toes. This helps them move around quietly, and if one looks at the bone structure of other predators one will notice it is very similar:)

Sorry Andreas, slightly moving away from the topic here but you know how much I love lions and sharing stuff about them Thank you so much for yet another lovely post and I so look forward to the next!

Kind regards,

Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev , Jon and Gabriela for your comments and suggestions , much appreciated .

Jon .... no issue that you put your hands on the image , but i prefer for myself the OP . I already pushed the image further than i thought i should do it . AS light was flat ....at time of shooting , so kept it close to reality . Plus you have applied the tonal " corrections " globally which i do not really like . And you have also introduced some color .....more than needed , as i think the OP is already on the border in terms of color .

Gabriela ..... thanks for the additional info on the Lions skeleton . No problem with your turn to animal facts ....!!!! But as stated to Jon ... not more Oomph needed in this case .

Cheers Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 05-13-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- This is another superb image from you Andreas, nice details and lovely soft muted colours. The POV is great and nice separation from bkg which provides that depth to this frame. I really liked the motion blur on one of its paw and like Doc i too am a bit reserved abt that hind leg in the frame, but nothing you could have done abt it either .

A nice frame with good techs and PP work. TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb ...for your kind comment , much appreciated .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You caught a nice view of this lioness. Like the almost raised foot and the vertical composition is nice as well.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I like the framing/POV and the raised paw. I have no issue with a hint of motion blur in the paw, but I do think a fraction more DoF may have helped, plus shooting 1/2500 would not have hurt. I like the overall colour range, but has the feel of NIK IMHO. Overall I like the concept.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for your comment ....what elements reminding you of NIK ? I do not see a benefit of more DOF IMHO .

Cheers Andreas