Thread: Little Stalker

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little Stalker

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Everyone,

This is an image that has been lying in my folders for a couple of years, could not decide whether to dump or keep it. Subject partially in the shade and I am not too happy with the surrounding (dry) vegetation either. Also, not enough DoF. I liked the POV though.

I only have one image from this sighting... was waiting for the cheetah to get up and move into better light when she suddenly lied flat on the ground and was preparing to stalk something. Looked behind me and saw a Steenbok at some distance so quickly grabbed one shot of the cheetah and decided to move out of the way, unfortunately my subject here subject decided to pass this opportunity. As soon as she got up and moved to another spot of shade I noticed her tummy...it was full

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 500
    F6.3
    1/1000s

Kindly let me have your thoughts, be it of a technical nature or otherwise - I value your opinion and suggestions.

Wishing you all a wonderful week-end,

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 05-10-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- you really were contemplating to discard this one ! Either you have far better frames this one or you often make such images .

I simply loved this. Cracking POV and the expression is priceless. no problems with the surroundings as well perfectly goes with the subject. I only feel a bit more sharpening on its face will make this even more appealing . I loved this image , Thanks for posting it and not dumping it.

Lets see what others have to say.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much for your kind words, Haseeb.

I did contemplate dumping this frame a number of times. Don't think I put much thought into techs at the time - was rushing to get out of the cheetah's way and thought it fair to give a chance to the poor Steenbok to get away.

The other night I found a a number of versions of this image where I dealt with the BG in various ways, dumped most of them and kept what I thought was the better one. Dropped exposure a bit and also contrast on the FG, it was too bright. I think the cheetah's face could be a tad brighter, especially the whites. I'll play around some more, I feel it hasn't got enough "pop" for my taste

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

4. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, the expression on the face and the stalking pose is lovely. Another round of sharpening on face and slight exposure adjustments will do good. I am glad you posted this and not dump it. I certainly enjoyed viewing it. The intensity of stare is something!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this cheetah. Like the low anlge and the stalking pose. The details look nice as well. Focus is right where it should be.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela --what a great view of the cheetah well captured !!!
    Super low POV and the stalking pose and the concentrated look is stunning . Colors are looking very correct but flat to me , likewise the contrast is quite flat , would expect more having the Kalahari in mind !!
    I do agree that the techs are not ideal .... and that the image needs some lifting .
    I do also think you have too much space on the top .... might leave more FG than BG in the framing , just my 2 cents .
    Having the last posting of yours in mind .... where is the fine detail gone ......... lost on the way from the Kalahari to Hluhuwe . Can happen..... a longer way home than from Zuka .

Would rework the file .... has some good potential if the file is sharp .

Have a great weekend ..... yours Boetie

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the composition but I feel detail could possibly be enhanced, I think it is a great image and is worthy of another look-see. Glad you didn't dump it, lets see another!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you everyone so much for your input and constructive criticism

Here's another version, not sure it's a much of an improvement though. Cropped more at the top but decided to leave a tad more at the bottom so I do not "squash" this young lady.

Perhaps frame does lack critical sharpness. And there's just not enough DoF. Also, subject being in the shade with no decent light did not help. I love shooting in good light ( I guess we all do), but sometimes cannot resist capturing an image despite the conditions.

I have a few more challenging frames in my folders and plan to share them, see what you think. "Dump -it-or- leave-it" frames, or "tough to process" frames. Maybe we should make this a Theme sometimes Just kidding...

Hope you all have a fantastic week ahead,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela looks better to me , more life within the frame . IMHO

I do wish you a great week , too .

Andreas

If you like fire me the file ....i try Capture One on this one .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas, much appreciated Boetie. I will do so, but for now I shall ask that you look into those two files I sent you tonight, they are on the way but my internet is slow - see what you think of them, they have sentimental value as I have known the subjects for some time
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah little Sis .... will have a look tomorrow

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No rush Andreas, and thank you
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, like the low POV and the framing being off centre. I think your DoF here was a little short.

BTW have you updated the latest LR, nice new feature, but be careful, like Clarity tread carefully, folk who really don't understand it will find things a bit too crunchy and over sharp!!! Launch LR via the App otherwise you may fine it doesn't work.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Steve,

Indeed it lacks DoF, I actually mentioned this in my intro as it bothered me

Updated LR the other night, all working nicely. And yes I saw it...I'll be careful

Have a nice evening,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Updated LR the other night, all working nicely. And yes I saw it...I'll be careful
    Great and remember, it works Globally or as an adjustment, but those three sliders work great when you toggle between them, for once Adobe has added a nice feature, glad it's all working.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

PP work is so much fun Got so taken with redoing some images in LR that I forgot about the pot I had on the stove...will have to make do with just salad now
    Gabriela Plesea