Thread: Eastern Meadowlark

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eastern Meadowlark

Attached Images Attached Images

Image captured on our trip to Florida back in March on Joe Overstreet Road. The fence posts provide nice perches for the birds, but of course the better perches for us are far and few between. C&C welcome.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 600mm, 1/2500s, f 6.3, ISO 1250, Hand Held from car window.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoff, I recognized the Joe Overstreet background when looking at the thumbnail. My favorite spot for meadowlarks. A little more head tun towards the viewer would have been better. You mentioned better perches, what I have observed even if there is a better perch for photography nearby the bird will choose either a post or barbed wire. Not sure why. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I can hear him Geoffrey! Lovely pose with a small feather at the edge of the beak, wonderful BG, and nice weathered post. Sure a little more head turn but this really captures the song. I would suggest toning down the brightest yellow at top of chest, looks slightly hot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the singing pose and the two toned background. The bird could have turned its head towards you. But this is what it gave you right.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image.
    Agree about the head turn but love that full throttle singing pose.
    Too bad you could not have grabbed a stool or chair to get you 6 inches higher to avoid the band of sky at the top of the frame. I know- you could have climbed up on Bill's shoulders!!
    Gail

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Lovely image.
    Agree about the head turn but love that full throttle singing pose.
    Too bad you could not have grabbed a stool or chair to get you 6 inches higher to avoid the band of sky at the top of the frame. I know- you could have climbed up on Bill's shoulders!!
    Gail
    Thanks Gail. I could have, but with his shoulder in the last stages of healing, I stayed put.

I felt in this frame the band of sky added some interest and depth. I did a browser crop, and it works as well. I do have a number of EAME calling frames from this location with no sky in BG, some of which I was thinking of posting as well.

Thanks again,

Geoffrey

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very pleasing shot of this calling/singing Meadowlark. I am enjoying the composition. I'm okay with this guy at the top as the area of pop pretty much encompasses the whole bird. Agree the bright yellow chest plumage could be cut back. For those who are distracted by the sky, you could always darken it a bit and perhaps throw in a moderate vignette

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone.

Geoffrey