Thread: American Alligator

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Alligator

Attached Images Attached Images

Took this image on recent trip to Florida in March. This rather sizable alligator was approaching, in the last rays of sun, to a spot near the shore for the night. C&C welcome.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 600mm, 1/2000s, f 6.3, ISO 1250, Gitzo, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Geoffrey, and a warm welcome back

Your subject here is quite intimidating - massive fellow and I like the way he fills the frame. Techs look good, nice SS too. Perhaps a little more DoF would have been nice though - eye is sharp but the snout appears a tad soft.

Was this Alligator very dark? I read an article about the species which described it as either brown, grey, or black. I still find it difficult to comment on colour because I have never actually seen one.

I do notice a predominant blue cast overall and tempted to remove it. So I hope you don't mind me playing around with your image, my RP is based on your intro where you describe the scene as captured "...in the last rays of sun ", thought adding a bit of warmth won't hurt

Thank you so much for sharing Geoffrey, looking forward to more

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela. Good to be back. Don't mind at all you having a go at the blues. I had applied the warming filter (85) in cs6 but didn't want to go beyond 25%. I like your version also, but I'm remembering that with the breeze picking up, and the sun just about to drop below the trees, there was a cooler feeling.

A little more depth of field would have helped, both on the snout and towards the tail end. I did think about a touch of sharpening on the snout, but did not do any post sharpening because I felt the snout and the tail end looked natural.

As for the color of the alligator it was hard to tell, because we did not see him before he entered the water. My guess would be a darker grey.

Geoffrey

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Geoffrey, it's awesome to have you back!

Of course, you were there and you know what it was like... My RP was based on "gut feel" if I may say so. Was inspired by the way in which you described the scene and I could just imagine the sunset, the golden light, and this silent creature slowly making its way to the shore...Didn't do much really, just took it in LR and changed WB then removed some of the blues and added a bit of vibrance.

Changing subject...do you remember our chat in November 2018 about wild cats? I found eight of them on my last trip to the Kalahari! Shared a few recently, would you be so kind to have a look: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...-Little-Hunter and http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ahari-Wild-Cat

Hope you have a lovely week-end Geoffrey,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are very welcome Gabriela, and I would like to say, thanks for your inimitable manner. Thank you again, it's great to be here.

I completely agree with your "gut feelings" and thanks for indicating what post you did.

I sure do remember our chat in Nov. 2018 about wild cats. You've made me so envious having just looked at both your images. Thank you so much for attaching the links.

Geoffrey

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey, I like the framing, albeit I feel you could loose more from the top. Re DoF, just remember as things get closer you need more and more DoF, in turn the camera has to work harder and you then need more SS and so the ISO goes up and the dynamic range drops, however I doubt at this range you would have got both snout to tail sharp, as presented I think it's fine. Just balancing out the colour and adjusting the darkness you begin to see what you initially capture, (albeit with your additional input via PP) and so much more comes to light and helps the capture, but hopefully Geoffrey this still conveys the evening light you mentioned

did not do any post sharpening because I felt the snout and the tail end looked natural.
    I agree, but you can sharpen more around the eye and head.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I appreciate your input and taking the time to work on your version. Personally I think somewhere between my original and Gabriela's version would look closer to the evening light. I also feel the crop from the top is a bit tight, but I could see a sliver taken off the top. Personally the softness of the background water looks ok to me, and gives a bit of where he swam from.

Thanks again, Steve.

Geoffrey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey , a lovely shot of this species .
    Well done in capture i think , framing is not ideal in OP i think . I would have cut off from the top and left more space at the foot , as the reptile is somehow approaching the viewer , so i would have more space for the reptile to move into ......just my thought .
    Will not judge colors .... you were there , i just think the tones looking good and you have good detail in the head , where it counts .

Nice one !!!

TFS Andreas