Thread: Red Fox Kits

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Fox Kits

A few days ago I made a quick visit to a Red Fox den near my home just as the light was fading at the end of the day. There are 6 kits in the litter and three of them lined up nicely for me at the entrance to their den.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 200-500 at 500mm
    ISO500
    f11 at 1/200 sec
    HandheldName:  Red Fox_6325.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  411.6 KB

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew a lovely encounter and I'm glad you have finally had the time to start to post this and hopefully others from time with them.

You don't say if this is FF or cropped, but if cropped I think you could afford a looser framing here. Was there any opportunity of getting lower so you were at eye level with say the cub on the LHS or centre? At f/11 (I think I know why ) but I don't think you managrd to get all in focus, perhaps coming back may have helped where you could have gone to f/8 and gained more SS??? Reducing the Blue helps certainly in the white of the fur and grass in the background. At ISO500 the BKG is looking a bit coarse and would have like to have seen this posted at say 1600px wide to really appreciate the capture.

Hope to see more.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andrew!

I want all six fox cubs lined up like this, pleaseJust kidding, LOL. They are adorable, well captured, I am so glad you shared this image!

Wonderful pose from all three and those lovely alert eyes are very catching. I agree with Steve, crop feels a little tight. Frame is well exposed and I like the colour on the little foxes. The tiny blue cast is easy fix, if you like.

I see you shot this without support so I gather you must have steady hands. I have no experience with the D500, what are the ISO capabilities? Wondering if you could have gone to at least ISO 800?

Cannot wait to see more images. My guess is those little ones are most active early morning and late afternoon, so I hope you get to photograph them in sweet light very soon, would love to see them play

Once again many thanks for sharing Andrew,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful capture of this trio, Andrew. Love the curious looks on the faces. I agree with the crop being a bit tight, and a little less blue in the whites.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments folks!

To answer a few of the questions:

-yes this is a slight crop. The original master file has a bit more room all around.
    -could not go much lower otherwise a chainlink fence in the background would have been visible.
    -f11 was actually a brain-cramp as I was too excited to shoot the kits and forgot to double check my settings. The kits would not line up for me again after I adjusted my settings
    -after a few frames I did increase ISO to 800
    -background may be a bit coarse as I run a sharpening action on my low res so it has probably affected the background...will double check my unsharpened TIFF to confirm.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Andrew - I cannot wait to see more, when are you going back to visit the den?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi ANdrew -- I really liked the framing the subject has good details. I echo Steve's thought especially reg the techs and the blues . Very nicely done.

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very appealing image, I quite like the tight crop, I do see a slight blue cast. A fast shutter speed is often better but I don't see a whole lot wrong - plenty of detail I think it looks good.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Like the pose on all three kits. They look quite big already. Light looks nice as well. A touch more all around would be nice. Really like how the background is in shade.