Thank You Posts

Default Tree Creeper on Scots Pine

Attached Images Attached Images

5D3
    f/4 500mm
    f/5.6
    1/320
    ISO 3200

This is an old one which I reprocessed. I was quite deep in the forest, light was limited and it had also been raining heavily(as you can tell on the bird). Anyone who has photographed these birds know that they move very quickly around the tree trunk looking for insects. I took a chance and quickly lowered my SS to 1/320, and fired of a few shots. This was the only one that was sharp, with a good HA. The raised bark on these trees are perfect for these little guys to look for insects.

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the composition and surprisingly the tree bark as BG. Nice and sharp and great details and colors but the noise is holding this one back. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great (miserable-looking) pose, and nice textured BG. Yes, a little NR might help. Nice work under tough circumstances, with a very flighty and tiny bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the bird and the image quality in difficult circumstances but the bird is sort of lost in the bark ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tough shooting circumstances with a fast moving bird and low light. A bit more NR on the BG would work well. Love the pose. A couple hot spots on the chest. TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, these are great wee birds and very hard to fine or see, so well done indeed.

To me the IQ looks a bit off, the Black/Contrast/Whites pushed adding/compounding to creating a contrasty look & feel, hiding the initial capture IMHO. Being wet hasn't helped, but Will, just being a little lighter on those sliders, getting some colour back in creating some depth and layering starts to build on what you have. The RP is not ideal as I say, but you can start to see that the shadows were starting to be chocked, the whites pushed beyond loosing detail, but you can start to see the subject more and the lovely detail of the magnificent Scotts Pine... (sound like Monty Python ), but seriously just step back and if you don't need to use some sliders don't, 'Less is more' here in PP. The only thing I can't reduce is the sharpening on the subject.

TFS
    Steve

PS I think the bark should more purple than warm red, but with 256 colour I'm not left with much. I'm around tomorrow if you want a chat, happy to help.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree about the noise issue but that's an easy fix. Also agree about the hot spots on the chest.
    It is very hard to get a good image of these guys and you got him in a great pose-facing you a bit to show the feet quite nicely.
    But the whole IQ of this image is not up to your usual standard. Definitely a keeper until you get a better one!
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice how the bird matches the color of the tree bark. The pose is nice with a good view of the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it, hard birds to get a good level look at.
    It does need some work, but a nice frame.
    Dan Kearl

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

image quality in difficult circumstances but the bird is sort of lost in the bark ...
    Will, just having a rethink and perhaps getting even more 'richness' back into the bark, then adding your own vignette addresses Artie's concerns?

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Will, just having a rethink and perhaps getting even more 'richness' back into the bark, then adding your own vignette addresses Artie's concerns?

Steve
    Hi Steve, sorry for the delay in reply but, been busy...Yes I like this version best, I'll have another go at it, taking in mind your tips. That last image is looking real good ...Thanks again

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The version in Pane 10 is best by a small margin, but for me, the. bark is the bark. Part of my problem has to do with the fact that the bird's bill is sort of lost in the BKGR. Do know that I know that these birds are nearly impossible to photograph and that the image is overall and excellent one, and sharp.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    The version in Pane 10 is best by a small margin, but for me, the. bark is the bark. Part of my problem has to do with the fact that the bird's bill is sort of lost in the BKGR. Do know that I know that these birds are nearly impossible to photograph and that the image is overall and excellent one, and sharp.

with love, artie
    Thanks for that Artie