Thank You Posts

Default Common Seal

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm with 1.4
    f/8
    1/1600
    ISO 640

I spent Easter Sunday afternoon with the seals in my home town. Unfortunately the sun wasn't in the best position for photography, but the tide was coming in nicely. This old looking one remained on the rock looking real dried up, until the last moment then he slipped into the sea, and after all that waiting for the 'shot', he never opened his eyes...But I liked the POV of his nose in the water Tripod mounted in the water.

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Will, I like the low POV, but not the central placement of the subject, for me I feel the subject needs to be more to the right, there is just too much negative space there. I think there is some data/tone that runs along the seals back, I don't think it's blow, just too push in PP. If you have time I would revisit the image. The overall colours appear very pristine and so again, I wonder, bring a little warmth and extracting more detail from the seaweed adds, darkening the FG is optional, just an alternative. With the seal on the brink of entering the water you could have gone to 1/2500 as you had truckloads of ISO. Going 10x9 reduces the space above which again, I think the image can afford to loose.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Will, and welcome back!

My first thought when I looked at your image was, the Seal was asleep and fell into the water Love the pose, I just wish the old chap was kind enough to open its eyes for you, it would have been magic...

Agree with Steve about the subject's placement within the frame, a bit to the right would have been better. Adding warmth and extracting some more detail where possible (as per Steve's RP) makes the scene overall even more attractive.

I must say I enjoyed viewing your image, it also made me smile. You've got some fantastic opportunities right on your doorstep and I would love to see more from you in the Wildlife Forum - your contribution is always appreciated

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that Gabriela and Steve.... I have attached the original RAW, I found it a little difficult to get a nice colour balance. Tried several ways, but just couldn't get it how I wanted. Maybe have a look at it please and try the colour balance. I got a few shots at different seals Gabriela, I'll post more

Will PS The repost is better..

Name:  _X6R7652RAW.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  581.4 KB

5. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tried several ways, but just couldn't get it how I wanted.
    Hi Will, what did you try in terms of Workflow, how did you envisage the image should look, just trying to get my had around your thinking to see if you can change, tweak or do something different in the process to achieve your goal. Based on the raw RP the HL along th back did come from PP as nothing appears blown.

BTW how is the shoulder?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi William, I like the low POV and the almost 'tripped' pose. Steve has addressed the composition and details issue and I like his RP. TFS.

8. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Will, what did you try in terms of Workflow, how did you envisage the image should look, just trying to get my had around your thinking to see if you can change, tweak or do something different in the process to achieve your goal. Based on the raw RP the HL along th back did come from PP as nothing appears blown.

BTW how is the shoulder?

The first thing I did was getting the colour balance how I wanted it. It seemed too blue, with not much colours on the seal. I reduced the blue how you showed me, then tweaked it with temp... Still didn't seem right. I probably overdone it... I envisaged the image should look, just like the one you processed I like the colour on the seal....I think i am going in the right direction but prob pushing the sliders too much. I'll post a different seal next time, and try and keep the processing to a min. The shoulder is still not properly healed. Using the tripod nearly all the time at the mo. Going to Outer Hebrides next month...so hope its ok by then

Thanks again, Will

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Will,

Sorry for only replying now, took advantage of a public holiday near the week-end and slipped away for a bit . Tried an RP here but did not post, felt it was not as good as Steve's and I must admit I battled a bit with the HL/whites on the Seal's back. I think Steve has done a great job of recovering detail there

Hope you have some lovely photographic opportunities in the Hebrides and I look forward to see you post again, have a lovely holiday!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post