Thread: Star Male !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Star Male !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone, thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post , as always much appreciated.

Here is an image of the same Male which Doc posted a few days back , known as Star Male from Tippeshwar.

He has been the dominant Male in this part since last 4 years and is siring cubs with 3 to 4 different females. yet to face a formidable challenge IMO.

Coming to the image, the light was getting harsh and this tiger was surrounded by tourists on one side but luck was on our side or rather in this case experience as we were patiently waiting for him on other side of the road as one side was completely flanked by cars. He did obliged by coming our way and provided an opportunity to make few images.

DPP 4.8, PS CC 2019 v 20.0.4, WB, curves, selective colour, cloned out a bright grass strand running across its hind leg, darkened the FG , burned bright patches here and there, cropped from top and rhs, sharpening.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400mm f4 @ 334 mm, bean bag, self driven car .

ss 1/2500 ( as i was driving hence opted for some higher ss), f/4.0, iso 1600.

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions be it of any nature.
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 05-31-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did well with your anticipation and getting a decent shot of Star! Techs look good but agree with you that SS could be lower or f stop higher. Good details, colors and pose. TFS.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Haseeb, I like the way the Tiger emerges out of the woodland, raised front paw as he draws breath, great stare and open mouth adds.

Having a faster SS no problem, shooting wide open, well even f/5.6 would have been better IMHO without taking too much more ISO. Overall I find the image too Yellow, going cooler ie to the left in the WB I think offers a more balanced start. Using some Saturation, Yellows & Oranges from the HSL panel will offer a good basis, then in PS add some Curves, Colour balance (very fine tweaks) and I think it creates a bit more depth to the capture. Personal, but adding a small rectangular vignette helps draw the eye more to the subject.

Not ideal as I feel the Tiger could go a fraction lighter in the midtowns, but you get the drift I hope.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Haseeb,

He is indeed a star, lovely pose and expression from this tiger. I like the rich environment, and especially the bed of of leaves the subject is walking on, I can almost hear the rustle...

OP looks a bit muted in terms of colour. Steve's version adds more vibrance and the slight vignette helps emphasize the subject. Your framing works very well.

Reading your intro I realise how difficult it is to capture those images. Your patience and ability to anticipate the tiger's movement paid off though, you must be very pleased with this

I certainly enjoyed viewing, thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela, Doc and Steve.

@ Steve : I really liked your RP again and the thought process behind it. I did try to get some more depth by darkening the FG but was a bit conservative reg the BKG . Though I am happy with the details in the subject inspite of tricky lighting conditions. But your RP has helped me in getting better understanding as to how to process such images.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really liked your RP again and the thought process behind it.
    Hi Haseeb, it's rather crude I must admit, but only working with 256 colours and a small file isn't ever Ideal. Glad you like the general take, as all I try to do is unlock the potential I see in an image with various suggestions, the RAW will be a lot easier for you to hone things.

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post