Thread: David and Goliath (shorebirds style)...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default David and Goliath (shorebirds style)...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R EF400 DO I 2xtc II f11 1/1600 ISO 2500

The ultimate photobomb...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice juxtaposition. Were you fairly close? At f11 maybe the big bird would be more in focus. You are getting value from that R body.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Driscoll View Post
    Nice juxtaposition. Were you fairly close? At f11 maybe the big bird would be more in focus. You are getting value from that R body.
    Yes, I was literally waiting laying in mud at low tide since before sunrise for some of the many waders to come in. I had a view of three still tidal pools and the beach itself at 800mm. This was the closest pool. Yes, for sure Colin, after a 10 year hiatus, I can say with confidence after 5 months of use, this body works better with my very old glass than my DSLR's used to. The communication interface of the RF mount(even through the RF to EF adater) is much faster and there is no AF adjustment ever needed as it is stationary right on the sensor unlike DSLR. And just updated with awaited firmware which further improved AF precision.
    Last edited by David Roach; 04-24-2019 at 04:29 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting concept and image design. The smaller bird looks good, detail and color appear good, although I am not good at shore birds. I love to photograph them but find identification difficult. I admire you for laying in the mud waiting but the low POV puts the out of focus foreground right against the small bird and prevents being able to see the feet. A higher POV in this case I think might have been better. Thank you for sharing, David.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Interesting concept and image design. The smaller bird looks good, detail and color appear good, although I am not good at shore birds. I love to photograph them but find identification difficult. I admire you for laying in the mud waiting but the low POV puts the out of focus foreground right against the small bird and prevents being able to see the feet. A higher POV in this case I think might have been better. Thank you for sharing, David.
    Hi Joe and thanks for looking as usual. Yes, you are correct. The least sandpiper was foraging on the lip of this tidal pool coming from right to left. I was on him with servo AF (shutter half way down) and waiting for him to move to the top of the lip when the willet came in from the same direction. He was moving up a little on the lip so I hit the shutter and tracked for about 10 frames. I liked this one for size comparison and clear view of the wee one's body. I also really liked that the angle on the LS bill juxtaposed with the entire willets body angle. It almost looks like the little one is sitting. You know me, always after the unconventional.
    Your comments and suggestions always very welcome and I love the plover you just posted.
    Peace,
    David

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey David, great minds think alike. Check it out form a couple of years ago :-) :

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...=plover+dunlin

I just wish for more room at left and a slightly higher vantage point. I do like the Willet looming large in the back, and it is blurred just enough for me.

9. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Hey David, great minds think alike.
    Because it's you, that is the highest praise I've received photographically. Loved your version (big surprise). Thanks as always for your attention and comments.
    Peace,
    David

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, No amount of d-o-f would have helped in this situation. As for the image, the juxtaposition is not very pleasing. Do compare with Dan's image. I like the image but have no idea why you have more room behind the Willet than in front of it ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

12. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: it would have been a lot more effective if you went wider with a lot more room in front of the Willet.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

14. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hi David, No amount of d-o-f would have helped in this situation. As for the image, the juxtaposition is not very pleasing. Do compare with Dan's image. I like the image but have no idea why you have more room behind the Willet than in front of it ...

with love, artie
    Hi Artie. I was not going for DOF to get both as I knew I couldn't. The LS I was imaging was just within my minimum focus distance with this lens combo. I was close as you've already surmised. I was also in vertical and thus have no more room on the left. Also, in case it wasn't clear, I was not specifically designing this image for juxtaposition in the field. Both birds were on the move and this closeness only lasted a couple of seconds. However, when I saw this frame in this brief servo AF encounter (about 10 frames), I liked the size comparison and the parallel diagonal between the LS beak angle and the entire willet's body angle. I chose the right hand crop point (only a little more available in FF) to have a stronger diagonal on the aforementioned angle. So, now you know my thinking. There is something about this image I like personally above and beyond all the techs but can't put my finger on it. Also, I enjoyed your reflection blog post. As always, very informative.
    Thanks so much for your suggestions, comments and teachings/ my learnings (whatever skills I have come from having you constantly in my head and field experience). I am ever grateful you were a teacher before doing this. It serves your current endeavors well.
    Peace,
    David

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great concept here. You showed the size difference very well. The low angle is spot on.