Thread: Heading to the waterhole...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Heading to the waterhole...

Attached Images Attached Images

A young tiger emerges from across the woods to join his mother and siblings in a waterhole at Tipeshwar. about 20% crop for composition. Eliminated a hose that was pumping water into the waterhole from the lower RHC. The trees acted like book ends I thought to frame the tiger. WDYT?
    1DX II
    700mm
    1/2000
    f/7.1
    ISO 1600

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, great encounter, I assume he was just asserting his authority rather than being too close?

Techs look spot on and I really like the Tiger 'in stride'.

The trees acted like book ends I thought to frame the tiger. WDYT?
    Approved, good call.

I'm back home tomorrow so will have another look, but I think without hurting the frame, you could loose a sliver off the foot, ie cropping on the tree baseline, as I find the OOF 'ridge' in the FG is I feel, a little distracting.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

Fantastic pose from this tiger, eye contact is superb. He looks quite big for a youngster still spending time with mom and his siblings

I really like your thinking in terms of composition. Steve is right, the OOF bit in the FG is a little distracting, so maybe try crop a fraction from below, near the base of the LHS tree? There's also a tiny green leaf that catches my eye, can you see it?Oh, I am just nitpicking now

Nice techs and you exposed very well. Colours look good and there's detail on the face of the subject, even in the shadow areas.

I have not tried anything with your image but thinking it might be possible to enhance further this wonderful 3D feel (which you already have by framing the subject in-between those tree trunks). Sometimes darkening or lightening the BG or the FG helps, maybe some NR to the BG, the tree on the RHS needs some attention too.

Let's see what Steve and the members say, I personally think you have a winner here. Those sparkling eyes and the growl, the expression from the subject make this image for me - wonderful work Sanjeev

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- I liked he pose and the eye contact. Also the colours have come out quite well. And yes the trees are helping the frame nicely . I also agree reg cropping the Fg a bit , the ridge is a bit distracting . Doing some NR on the BKG might help in lowering the effect of the busy shrubs and heat haze. Also I think the blacks on its face a slightly heavy and affecting the details in that area . But a nice image nonetheless.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, having had a proper look, the colours to me look bang on, the only thing I would add to my original thoughts, is reduce the blue in the RH tree trunk.

Also I think the blacks on its face a slightly heavy and affecting the details in that area
    I think Haseeb, with the strong light, you will generate deep Blacks here, albeit you could control it, however not to the point where it doesn't look right, but agree on some NR on the BKG.

8. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for having another look. I did reduce the blues quite a bit. You are right regarding the light Steve, it was quite bright.