Thread: Stonefish

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stonefish

Name:  Stonefish-portrait-1-1600.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  590.3 KB

You don't see these stonefish so much so far out in the open, so I was pleased about this handsome (!) chap. Took 2 shots them went to adjust my strobes and he moved. Looked up to see my buddy frantically signalling the 'stonefish' sign, and I thought, 'yeah,I've seen him! How the **** did you manage to miss him as you were going first?' Little did I know he'd settled right under my legs! Fortunately I always rise up a couple of feet before moving, otherwise I would have gone right into his poisonous spines

Canon 1dx in Nauticam housing
    Canon 100mm L
    ISO 200
    1/100th f16
    twin sea and sea YS-D1 strobes

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Mike, that is one handsome looking stonefish ! Love the comp, colours and details! Excellent exposure and BG. Glad you didn't step on it! TFS.

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely stunning, Mike

Love the framing and those vibrant colours, as well as dark BG. Beautiful detail. Well exposed and processed.
    I too am glad you did not step on this fellow, the consequences would have been dire

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Mike, you always seem to manage to achieve such clarity with these underwater images and this one is no exception. An amazing fish, I have to keep going back and having another look before I finish typing!

6. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Love the details. The colors and patterns on this are great. Why is this posted here? You usually post your underwater images in wildlife.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Very nice. Love the details. The colors and patterns on this are great. Why is this posted here? You usually post your underwater images in wildlife.
    Thanks John, these usually camouflage themselves tight against the reef, so it was great to get one out in the open.

I did post this in the wildlife section but it was moved by the mods because it was taken with a macro lens. I don't agree with that decision as its not a macro shot, but am waiting on a response. End of the day its not my playground!

cheers

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer sharpness, detail, and color.

with much love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Please note: as this image qualifies it now appears in both the Macro and the Wildlife Forums (playgrounds).

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.