Thread: Black-bellied Plover

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-bellied Plover

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at a beach on Alligator Point, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 400mm
    1/1250 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV+2/3 ISO 450 Eyedrop picker for WB HH
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice one Joe!

I think the composition is bang on. I'm often a big supporter of the use of dead spaces in images if it used correctly. I like the minimalism in this. The lines and shades in the sand are beautiful!
    The pose and the prey it got is obviously very nice. Light is also good but seems like it is comming from the side so that the rump of the bird is sunlit and the face is a bit more in the shadow. Also think there is a bit of a yellow/greenish color cast. Might be worth adjusting the yellow in selective color so that the warm light looks more natural.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too like the comp here, and I love the warm light. Prey item is cool. I do feel that he plover's face looks soft as posted though (wing and tail looking sharper) - perhaps due to the tugging motion.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the light, the tail-up pose, the tension in the worm, and the layered background.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see the tug of war action going on. The light is nice with a nice low angle. The sand is nice and clean.

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Sjogren View Post
    Very nice one Joe!

I think the composition is bang on. I'm often a big supporter of the use of dead spaces in images if it used correctly. I like the minimalism in this. The lines and shades in the sand are beautiful!
    The pose and the prey it got is obviously very nice. Light is also good but seems like it is comming from the side so that the rump of the bird is sunlit and the face is a bit more in the shadow. Also think there is a bit of a yellow/greenish color cast. Might be worth adjusting the yellow in selective color so that the warm light looks more natural.
    Hi Ivan, thank you for viewing and commenting. The off colors you are seeing happened when I converted the 16 bit TIFF to an 8 bit JPEG. The master file and the TiFF look fine. Thanks again for commenting.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com