Thread: Love It or Hate It...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Love It or Hate It...

Attached Images Attached Images

We went to Gatorland this morning for a couple hours. A lot of Cattle Egrets nesting, along with photographing them I captured this image of a Snow Egret displaying for a mate. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 240mm
    1/1600 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +2/3 ISO 2500 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped from horizontal to vertical for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Do you even need to ask... Love it... Wish for some detail on the right side of neck and shoulder. I do realize that's being stupid picky though given light angle. Beautiful as is... TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Do you even need to ask... Love it... Wish for some detail on the right side of neck and shoulder. I do realize that's being stupid picky though given light angle. Beautiful as is... TFS
    Hi David, thank you for viewing and commenting. Overcast, flat light and whites don't do well for detail in whites. The detail in whites comes from micro shadows which are not present when evenly lit, and the light has few shadows. I could lower the highlights on whites on that side but then the white would begin to grey from reducing the highlights too much.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 04-19-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi David, thank you for viewing and commenting. Overcast, flat light and whites don't do well for detail in whites. The detail in whites comes from micro shadows which are not present when evenly lit, and the light has few shadows. I could lower the highlights on whites on that side but then the white would begin to grey from reducing the highlights too much.
    Fully understand and I still love it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. Nice to see something different. Love how the bird is symmetrical in the frame.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I had another go at post processing. I think this one is better. I guess this shows that even with an overcast sky there is a direction to light.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the idea behind this image but you need perfect even lighting on both sides of the face to really make this work.
    I wish the body was as centered as the neck and head and that the feathers on the LHS were not matted down- that little bit of dirt on the feather really catches my eye.
    I find shooting at Gatorland very difficult. You did well to isolate the bird with a clean BG.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. You did a good job of getting it sharp on the eyes. And yes, even on very cloudy days light has direction.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.