Thread: African Wildcat at night

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default African Wildcat at night

Attached Images Attached Images

I snapped this little guy some years back in the Twee Rivieren Rest Camp. He was hanging around the chalets, I suspect people might have started feeding him, because he was very tame. The image was created by torchlight. In retrospect I think I could have closed down more for more DoF. No crop, processed in LR and PSCC. Thanks for viewing!

Camera Model: NIKON D3S
    Date/Time: 2015:07:03 18:48:02
    Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
    Aperture: 2.8
    Exposure mode: Manual
    Metering mode: Multi-segment
    ISO: 6400
    Lens: 300.0 mm f/2.8

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Chris, a lovely portrait, normally I'm not a lover of these because they all look like Wim or Brendon's images, just another 'Me2' with zero thinking, but this is just so nicely lit. I agree with your own thoughts re more DoF, I was there too, but you just then loose Dynamic range, increase any noise and in part, areas cannot be captured, so you did well here. The way the body just disappears into the 'night' just so works!

For me, like the Lion the image is just carrying too much 'black' and so it appears heavy and losing the fine detail. I would keep LR for the more simpler Global changes and PS for the finer adjustments and tweaks where you can use layers and masks to hone the image.

Hard to do too much from the file, but you get the idea, adding more 'warmth' and or NR could be applied, but again those are more personal refinements.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Chris,

Lovely image of this beautiful wild cat Would give anything for one of those little wild things on the ground...I do have a few from last month but taken at ISO 8000

Framing works and I really like the subject "melting" into the background. There's just enough light on its face to reveal those beautiful features, lovely eyes and pink nose.

Colours look natural. Subject's face a tad contrasty, not sure it is the sharpening or certain steps in your PP work but I feel that Steve's RP is going in the right direction ( love the softer, warmer look)

Hope folks don't get me wrong because I am all against feeding wild animals - but what makes this image for me is the sulky expression and a kind of expectation in the subject's eyes: " ...are you going to feed me or shall I move on to the next tent..."

Really enjoyed viewing, Chris - thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Chris -- I really liked the tailing dof , loved how the subject is nicely melting away in the darkness. Quite like Steve's RP as well , reducing the blacks brings out that finer details which were somewhat lacking in your OP. I like these night shots like these where the subject has some nice details.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the spot light on the cats face. Looks just like a house cat. The composition is nice as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not normally a big fan of the spotlight images, but this one melts away so nicely it does work. Great sharpness, in this situation, unless you could have got away with a really slow shutter speed I think you'd have done more harm than good going for a smaller aperture by having to raise the ISO too much

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice portrait of the cat, the dark BG and the illuminated face all work well. Steve's RP is very good.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The Steve's repost for me is fine,,,very nice portrait and a good background