Thread: Greater Sage Grouse

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greater Sage Grouse

Attached Images Attached Images

I made this image at Coalmont Lek, Colorado last Week.

It was 9 hr drive from my home in Utah to this location and I drove on Friday Night in the hope of getting to photograph them 2 time during the weekend. I reached to the location (Incorrect Location) on Saturday morning and it was snowing heavily.

Due to weather, I was unable to go further and went to hotel only to find out that the location was incorrect.

I called Isaac and he helped me out explaining the directions. Checked the location that evening. I went to the location early morning before sunrise and it was beautiful.

Special Thanks to Isaac Grant for helping me getting there

I am planning to go again in couple of weeks time to get better light.

Nikon D850, 600 mm f/4
    1/4000 sec; f/4.0; ISO 1600
    Manual; Matrix metering

Post Processing:-
    Cloned black spot on the ground.
    Raw Processing using C1P
    Neat Image for NR
    Detail Extractor 30-30 Filter
    Cropping - Little Crop.
    Sharpening for Presentation.

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks
    Krishna

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image,I would have cropped more from the rear.Yes better light would be better. I can help you get a better location. Three hours from Salt Lake Farson Wyoming. More sage Grouse than any place some Leks two hundred birds.State of Wyoming has Lek Locations online.I have been wanting to go for some time just the distance
    thing and busy shooting Chickens and Sharptail Grouse. Good luck.

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You needed to point your lens more to the left, but apart from that all looks good. Perfect head and body angle. Sounds like it was worth the drive.

5. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Wonderful Krishna and you must have enjoyed this so very much. I was happy to hear that Isaac was able to come to the rescue for you and get you to the lek...

I am saddened that Isaac is no longer with us on BPN, I truly found him to be invaluable; knowledgeable, always helpful, and would offer a critique along with suggestions and explanations to achieve an improved image and photographer. I am thankful he is my friend and I associate with him beyond BPN. That being said, when i see your beautiful image I think of the story behind this shot and the spirit of being a friend and bird photographer. Keep em coming.

7. Thanks gail bisson, Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Wonderful Krishna and you must have enjoyed this so very much. I was happy to hear that Isaac was able to come to the rescue for you and get you to the lek...

I am saddened that Isaac is no longer with us on BPN, I truly found him to be invaluable; knowledgeable, always helpful, and would offer a critique along with suggestions and explanations to achieve an improved image and photographer. I am thankful he is my friend and I associate with him beyond BPN. That being said, when i see your beautiful image I think of the story behind this shot and the spirit of being a friend and bird photographer. Keep em coming.
    I was also very sad that he left BPN. He was truly awesome person to talk to and helped me a lot. Hope I meet him in person some time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

cool shot Krishna,I like the pose with the fanned tail, agree composition is too centered and wish we could see more of the feet

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The details are nice. Like the pose on the bird. Agree about the composition. I know sometimes its shoot or get nothing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am late to the party but have to say I love this pic. Agree about the comp. I would love to go to a lek some day.
    I too am so sorry that Isaac has left BPN. I will miss his wonderful help,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice short grass but too centered.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.