Thread: I Say We Go...That Way!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default I Say We Go...That Way!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Friends!

Tonight I shall try to make you smile again

Here's a bunch of Ground Squirrels relaxing near their warren. Or rather warrens, because they dig so many. In fact it's all a sophisticated network of tunnels, about 1m deep. Those tunnels also have special chambers for "nesting" which are lined with grass, all so comfortable for the little ones:)

My subjects here just finished sand bathing on their tummies in order to get cool, which is called "thermoregulation". Their bushy tails (unfortunately not visible in this frame) often act as built-in umbrellas and thus create shade. My companion and I spent quite a lot of time with them in March this year and noticed the species often share a warren with mongooses or meerkats. By the way they live in large colonies of about twenty or more individuals, a social unit that consists of several females and their young. I did some reading the other night and learnt that males only join the group when a female is in oestrus. It is also said that bachelor males establish territories but are much more mobile than females. The species is supposed to feed on tubers, rhizomes, grass stems, insects, fruit and leaves but I have seen them eating flowers as well

Hope you enjoy this scene as much as I did. I know the positioning of the subjects in the frame was not ideal but I just loved the one stretching. Image captured at about 8:30 am...unfortunately by this time the light is already harsh in the Kalahari. The crop is a little heavy so a bit of IQ is lost - I plan to reprocess when I have a chance. Tried to "smooth" the BG as much as I could to make the Squirrels more obvious. And removed a great deal of blue as well as toned down a few HL. Processed in LR and PSCC, adjusted exposure, a curve layer, added vibrance and saturation. Reduced brightness in places. Let me know what you think...

Techs:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500F4
    ISO 800
    F8
    1/2500s ( in case they took off or played, they are fast as lightning )

Thank you so much for viewing and for your kind comments on my previous image, I so appreciate it.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely fun image Gabriela and where you could expand this even more with folk writing a caption to it.

Just about the right POV and I like the layering depth you have created with the DoF. Nicely timed with the outstretch paw and the RH squirrel almost talking into the ear. A bit unfortunate with the rear squirrel almost mapping the RH one, but it's minimal I think not to cause a huge distraction. The banding I see in the BKG is I think, the MacBook pros screen.

Definitely a fun image.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well I have learned something again - thanks Gabriela! I enjoyed the narrative as I did the image, a really appealing image great timing, the DOF looks good so do the details. i think you handled the tricky light very well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ha ha what a fun image Gabriela. I laughed at the title and smiled at the interaction on display here. Good low angle, details and techs. And great narrative yet again. Appreciate it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Squirrels have such great character, you caught a great moment here. Not sure what would be to the right, but I wouldn't mind the end of the shadows being in frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone, so glad this amused you

Steve, about the banding, it's not too obvious on my big screen but on my laptop it shows a bit too

Greg, I do have more all around and I plan to reprocess and leave more space around the squirrels, as well as include the full shadow.

Will see what else I can find in those folders... Very grateful for your kind comments.

Kind regards,

Gabriela
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Like the one on the right streching out. The point of view looks nice as well. Image quality looks very good.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much John, appreciated
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ... so cute , and the interaction is gorgeous !!!
    Love the whisperer and the sporty guy .... " yes you can do a longer stretch " !!!!

A fun image and all the techs and processing looking good !!!

Enjoyed watching this image ... TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas, thought you would smile seeing this
    Gabriela Plesea