Thread: Last light and rest for mom..

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Last light and rest for mom..

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R EF400DO I 2xtc II f11 1/1000 ISO 1600

After a good twenty minutes of being mauled by her almost grown chicks, mom steps onto a branch just off the nest and enjoys dusk. It always amazes me how little underdeveloped anhinga chicks will move off their nest to cry for mom as soon as they can. I've watched two GBH nests with two chicks getting very big and developed and they will not move past the confines of the actual nest. So mom enjoyed the peace...

For what it's worth I am still using Isaac's sharpening technique. As always comments, suggestions and learnings very welcome.
    Last edited by David Roach; 04-16-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Like the sweet light and the pose. The detail on the bird is very nice.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Light looks great, and sharpness is OK (albeit a bit of crunchiness in some areas). For me the pose is a bit awkward, I'd also prefer a bit more room above and left. The raised head feathers are bonus!

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Light looks great, and sharpness is OK (albeit a bit of crunchiness in some areas). For me the pose is a bit awkward, I'd also prefer a bit more room above and left. The raised head feathers are bonus!
    Added room I have and reduced sharpening. There is a lot of fine feathers which resize does not handle well. Still used Isaac's process though. Tired mama says sorry about the pose . Thanks to all for looking and suggestions.
    Peace,
    David

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David I might be tempted to go a bit more 'cooler' in terms of the WB albeit in warm light and perhaps drop the Exposure perhaps around a third of a stop. DoF looks good, but agree with Dan about sharpness. No idea on your workflow with regard to sharpening, but the correct route is Process > Crop > Sharpen > Export for output (Save for web), in the same way you never supply a cropped image to Stock (Photo libraries), it's aways FF and unsharpened as you have no idea what the Art director has in mind and sharpening has to be correct for output.

TFS
    Steve

8. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post