Thread: It's finally Spring for me...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default It's finally Spring for me...

Attached Images Attached Images

I look forward to having the American Goldfinches return this time of year in numbers. During this molt in Spring, it re-grows all of its feathers except for its wing and tail. And once the molt is complete, the body of the male is a brilliant lemon yellow, with a jet black cap, and a white rump that is visible during flight. It has been dark skies or rain for days so i set up and shot this from my kitchen window while making a chicken pot pie! Yum, its my favorite way to cook. Not a set up but there is a feeder near by. I wish the invasive bittersweet vine had ended at the new bud on the host branch, but maybe next time.

850mm

ISO 1600
    1/500

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For an invasive, that is a beautiful vine/perch. Very efficient use of time... Love the composition, BG, perch, pose and of course the sharp view of the details and color (so what's new). All this while making dinner... TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely ,really nice with the dark background makes the bird pop even more.Love the vine adds interest especially with new growth on the host plant has a softness that I like.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann. That's a "wow" shot from me (as are most of your photos). Beautiful bird, sharp, great FFD, HA, BG and I love the perch. If it were mine (I wish) I'd darken the vine slightly that's in line with the bird's beak and also top right. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful shot Ann, one I would be very happy with.
    The bright colors of the bird against the dark background makes for an effective image. I also love the perch, the vine and the buds are stunning.
    The pose, exposure and processing looks all good. Maybe have a look at the brightest yellows on the birds back(?)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image, Ann. I like everything, beautiful bird, feather detail, color palette, background and perch. You mentioned that you wished the Bittersweet vine stopped at the last bud, maybe you could use the vine in another composition. I would try a 2x3 letting the vine trail into the upper right hand corner of the frame. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rinky tinky , Anne love the perch and the pose. Lovely sharpness/detail, what time's dinner - Ill be round!
    I would suggest going back to raw and adjusting luminescence on the yellows, it will make a difference.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Ann, this is a really nice image, love the ruffled feathers and the perch is priceless and having the vine just in bud is the icing for me. The dark background really makes the subject pop and provides an excellent separation between the two. Assuming this is a crop, then a sliver more below I feel would help the overall framing.

Reading some of the feed back and looking at the image I do find it slightly 'contrasty' and what I mean by that is that I get the impression the Black & White sliders have been pinch on the histogram in Levels to point where the Blacks are almost choking, amplifying the lack of detail and the whites having zero tone. If correct, then perhaps backing off with a slight reduction in the exposure you may then find that you start to get some more Midtone back and this is where your detail is which gives the sharpness. Therefore, taking Jon's point, having some more detail (tone) and toggling the Yellows in HSL the plumage may start to back? There are more complex ways to get more back, but then we are into a greater depth with PS. In addition if you are using LR then this will compound the Contrast & Blacks as soon as you import the file, along with the choice of filter LR have chosen to add in, not a good move by LR.

Ann, this RP is not ideal, but only to illustrate my points and using an sRGB file reduces the limits in how far you can take a file. I would perhaps keep your backdrop as is?

Enjoyed viewing the posting.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good Ann...Beautiful bird, beautiful perch and beautiful BG. All fits together real good. I hope you enjoyed yer chicken pie

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good. Like the spiral on the vine. The pose is nice. Also the darker background is great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

These guys get quite bright when acquiring their new yellow feathers, and for that reason I'd prefer somewhere between the two, but closer to Ann's. I love seeing these guys in molt during this time of year. fantastic perch, and appealing BG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Ann, this is a really nice image, love the ruffled feathers and the perch is priceless and having the vine just in bud is the icing for me. The dark background really makes the subject pop and provides an excellent separation between the two. Assuming this is a crop, then a sliver more below I feel would help the overall framing.

Reading some of the feed back and looking at the image I do find it slightly 'contrasty' and what I mean by that is that I get the impression the Black & White sliders have been pinch on the histogram in Levels to point where the Blacks are almost choking, amplifying the lack of detail and the whites having zero tone. If correct, then perhaps backing off with a slight reduction in the exposure you may then find that you start to get some more Midtone back and this is where your detail is which gives the sharpness. Therefore, taking Jon's point, having some more detail (tone) and toggling the Yellows in HSL the plumage may start to back? There are more complex ways to get more back, but then we are into a greater depth with PS. In addition if you are using LR then this will compound the Contrast & Blacks as soon as you import the file, along with the choice of filter LR have chosen to add in, not a good move by LR.

Ann, this RP is not ideal, but only to illustrate my points and using an sRGB file reduces the limits in how far you can take a file. I would perhaps keep your backdrop as is?

Enjoyed viewing the posting.

TFS
    Steve
    Hello Steve,
    Thank you for your comments and suggestions, however, with this species there is natural contrast (as Dan mentions below) and perhaps a lowering of yellow luminance if yellow is blown. My post is what the bird looks like and it showcases so well against the dark (evergreens) BG. I like the image for the dynamic range. I don't understand what you mean when referring to the whites having "zero tone?" I agree that the white tail feathers do not have details, but tone? Overall, your repost has flattened the very appeal that these goldfinches deliver, but thank you never the less.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, thank you for your reply.

Just to clarify when I say 'tone' what I am referring to is 'data', so in the whites of the plumage there should be some data there within the capture albeit minimal, but in the blacks of the wings in the OP there is fine detail, but masked.

I assume you are shooting ETTR with the D850 and this capture has no blinkies, so you will have a lovely spread of data right across the axis and a huge amount of data info, but if you are using the current version of LR, plus say in the profile Adobe colour (or similar), straight away the image looks 'punchy', but LR behind the scenes has added Contrast to the image masking to a degree the midtones and so straight away you are loosing fine detail (sharpness). In addition, if, as I said, you have used Levels to find both Black & White points via PS (not advisable) you will also be pinching things and adding even more Contrast. Everything has a punch, the blacks are black, the Whites white, but no real detail within them. Now you could well be using another Raw Programme and never use Levels in this way, great if you are, but if you are, then all I'm suggesting is just be aware, especially when you come to print.

All the best
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is lovely Ann.
    Looks like you are "killing it" with the new gear.
    Love, love that perch.
    I like the square comp but could see this a s a vertical with more on the bottom and some canvas off the RHS to eliminate the horizontal part of the vine.
    Great BG and yellows look great,
    Gail

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a capture, Ann. Love the detail and those vibrant colors. Great spiral vine around the sprouting Lilac stem. Beautiful background.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu