Thread: Lear's (Indigo) Macaws in flight

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lear's (Indigo) Macaws in flight

Attached Images Attached Images

This is one from a trip to NE Brazil earlier this year. The Lear's Macaws are one of the rarest parrots in the world and is severely restricted to two populations in a range of canyons going through two states. They nest in fissure in cliffs, seen in the background here. Witnessing this protected area together with some friends was a mind-blowing experience. Not often you get to see something of this scale in nature. In early morning the parrots walk out of their nesting holes (sometimes up to several meters in height inside, like a small room in the mountain) and start vocalizing. When the sun hits the wall, they fly out to feed. These cliffs have a special reddish color which is even more in the exaggerated morning sun. I was happy with this shot of a pair, the top with some food in the beak. Let me know if you find the dark line distracting. All comments welcome of course!

Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 500mm f/4.0 L IS USM II | ISO 800 | f/5.6 | 1/2000s

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic up and down stroke with awesome BG. Not to mention the color and details on the birds. TFS

3. Thanks Ivan Sjogren thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful to capture two with perfect wing positions. Beautiful birds, nicely shown. Thank you for sharing, Ivan.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

5. Thanks Ivan Sjogren thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image. Just about the perfect flight angle and wing strokes. The beautiful colour of the birds shows well against the darker background.

7. Thanks Ivan Sjogren thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful to get both up and down strokes in a good flight angle. Lovely colors on the wings. The dark stripes on the cliff give it some texture, which for me is a good thing.

9. Thanks Ivan Sjogren thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ivan:

Lovely in all regards. Challenging shot to pull off with two birds in flight together , both sharp, same plane of focus, complimentary colors. Nice to be able to see parts of both wings on each bird.

Outstanding.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

11. Thanks Ivan Sjogren thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The line adds to it for me, gives depth.. Birds look great.
    Dan Kearl

13. Thanks Ivan Sjogren thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Ivan, Wonderful capture and it warms my heart to see these critically endangered Macaws photographed beautifully. Excellent positioning, sharp, and the nest ing habitat. Please enjoy this video of a dear friend of mine named Pedro Lima. He is one of my avian heroes and started the protection of this population years ago. When were you there?

https://youtu.be/K6uvSuNWMa4

15. Thanks Ivan Sjogren thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Like the different poses on the bird with the up wing and down wing position. The color on the birds is pretty sweet.

17. Thanks Ivan Sjogren thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Hello Ivan, Wonderful capture and it warms my heart to see these critically endangered Macaws photographed beautifully. Excellent positioning, sharp, and the nest ing habitat. Please enjoy this video of a dear friend of mine named Pedro Lima. He is one of my avian heroes and started the protection of this population years ago. When were you there?
    Hi Ann, Thank you very much for your comment and the video. It tells almost the exact same story I experienced this year. I did not meet Pedro Lima though, but it seems to have been filmed in the same place as I visited. The protection of these birds is going quite well but it is a hard and armed struggle against poachers. The area isn't really a nature reserve either as the government or the state doesn't sponsor it yet, which makes it vulnerable. I really look up to the people working to protect these birds. I was there in the beginning of February this year.

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Magnificent frame, getting both in focus is exceptional. Agree with all the positives above.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ivan, nice catch with both the up and down stroke, BG works good with the colors of the birds, nice details also.

-Tim